General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Watey Katey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 4 Jun 2014 17:17

Just phoned my energy supplier First Utility to pay them some money. Needed to speak to a person - which is a sin these days.

Got through eventually after pressing more buttons than a shirt maker. "Thank you for your call. We value your custom and you have joined the queue. You are (pause)....

No 29 in the queue

Is that a record? I cannot believe anyone has ever been further back in a queue.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Jun 2014 18:44

By the time you got through, it probably will have cost you a couple of extra quid :-(

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 4 Jun 2014 19:07

So many companies now seem to have these automatic queuing phone systems, DET.

Have no problems with it as long as they tell us how many operators are waiting to take our valued call, stop advertising all sorts of products and piping soothing music from Iron Maiden down phone. Also, please fire the call centre manager if the queue becomes any longer than "one being spoken to, one waiting" at any time of the day eg 20 operators, never more than 40 in the system being served or waiting. Just like supermarket tills.

It had gone from No 29 to ........ "No 29. thank you for waiting, we value your call and will be with you shortly" in the 10 minutes I hung on. Never thought about cost to me - if it was costing them, they would sort it quickly.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jun 2014 21:13

change suppliers - use Utility Warehouse - they are great

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 4 Jun 2014 21:45

Yers, I know. Probably right, AnnC, but have been with First Utility since I left British Gas and Swalec after about 40 years, and they have a good reputation and have been v pleased with them.

Point was really about phoning suppliers who have these filtering systems for calls. If they don't want awkward old customers who want to speak to an actual person who speaks their native language, they should say so.

Sky and BT take the biscuit. And when St Peter asks me and Tony Hancock what we have done, he will reply "gave 1/3d to RNLI" and be admitted. I will say "sat on phone waiting for First Utility to speak to me" and access will be denied.