General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Happy Birthday Grandma

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 8 Jun 2014 10:45

She would have been 128 today. I was 20 when she died and remember her so well. She was in London in WW1 when she woke in the night, looked out of window and saw and heard one of those doodlebugs, she waved at Queen Victoria etc.

I loved her to bits and still think of her every day (not just 8th June). She would be thrilled with her third gt gt grandchild (and first g g granddaughter). See avatar at two and a half weeks old.

Did your grandmas tell you anything interesting?

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 8 Jun 2014 10:52

Awwww....to the cute baby yawn

Like you, .I adored my Nan and miss her very much, she was tiny and funny and would have been 100 last December, she told me all the naughty things my Mum and her siblings got up to and loads of family stories I wish I had written down, they would really have helped my family history! Grandad was a huge man, so gentle and funny, but woe betide anyone who dared put their elbows on the tale when we were eating.

She was always the first one, after Mum and Dad, that I told all the good news to... Grandparents are an absolute blessing, well mine were anyway :-D :-D :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 8 Jun 2014 11:22

Aww, Kitty. I only really knew one of mine. But think others would have been great to have known.

Your "hands off the table" reminds me of "sit up straight when you are eating". So different to today: "Don't lie on your back with your supper tray on your tummy whilst you watch Family Guy, Piers dahling" :-D ;-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Jun 2014 11:29

Where would any of us be without grandparents?

(I'm in that awkward mood this morning - too much sun!)

PS: I helped to carry my paternal grandmother's coffin to her grave in 1967. An honour not to be forgotten.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 8 Jun 2014 11:37

A real honour Dermot, my paternal grandparents were rarity in those days.......divorced, we seldom saw them and I have one memory of each.

Sitting with Granny doing a jigsaw puzzle and Grandad riding his bicycle down the steep lane leading to our house and feeling a bit scared at the sight of him, no idea why, I just was.

My maternal grandparents and my maternal G Grandad were visited frequently, I can still remember the Wrights coal tar soap smell of G Grandad........a WW1 veteran and much loved by everyone :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 8 Jun 2014 11:37

That must have been quite an honour for you in 1967, Dermot - assume you were quite young then. :-)

We have so much in common apparently, Dermot. My grandma died in 1966 - of complications following a vicious tackle by Rattin of Argentina in the World Cup at Villa Park. By coincidence, did you have four grandparents too? ;-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Jun 2014 11:48

Amazing coincidence - yes, I had 4 grandparents. I suppose I cannot out-do you JJ by bragging about my 8 great-grandparents! And they are listed on my family tree. Good people - all of them, as far as I can ascertain.

Old age has given me a thick skin & I'm a bit deaf plus my mind wanders. My memory goes back to at least half past eight this morning. My brain is on holiday much of the time but the rest of my body is still here - I hope there are a few family members left to carry me to my grave in due course. No rush though!