General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the first brick wall: getting started

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wayne

Wayne Report 10 Jun 2014 03:38

I think I have just joined the wrong genealogy site, but I would appreciate the advice of experienced users of this site. I'm an old hand at genealogy--been doing this work for 20 years--so I don't need beginners' tips (which are the only kind I see). I've used the databases at Ancestry and similar sites for the past eight years, so I know my way around data bases. Yet, I subscribe here, post four people in a tree, thinking that should be enough to get it started, and nothing directs me to a single record, click madly about though I may.

Perhaps what I want to do is impossible here. I joined this site to get access to records in England from about 1550-1800. My initial tree starts with a man whose dates are 1549-1614. Is that the problem?

Thanks for any advice--

Wayne

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jun 2014 05:12

Welcome Wayne

This site works on the basis of you searching other people's trees.

The Hot Tips function hasn't really worked for a couple of years ........ when the powers-that-be did an upgrade.

Go to Search at the top right of your screen.

Click on that, then click on

Search All Member Trees

or Search All Records

If you find a member tree with a connected name, then you click on the tree owner's name and send a private message

It is usually better to provide a bit of information as to why you think you might be connected ................... many members ignore pms (private message) if they just say "Open your tree" :-)

I've been a member on here since 2004, which is before GR began to carry records. I also use ancestry, and would not be without it.

I have never used the records on here as I had found almost all the information elsewhere before GR got them

I do firmly believe though that GR is the best place for getting help .................... these Boards all work on the basis of members helping other members.

Post any questions re finding ancestors on Find Ancestors or Genealogy Chat

But be aware that you have to check back for replies ................. GR does not notify you of new posts on threads.

look to the left of your screen .......................

Tools

My Threads

If you click on that you will see listed all threads thta you have started or on which you have psoted.

I have sent a pm to you to direct you back here, in case you are not aware of this.

good luck!

Penny

Penny Report 10 Jun 2014 07:29

records in England from about 1550-1800 are few and far between, and scattered around records offices.

GR doesn't hold records as such, it directs you to others records, only data that others have entered

Samantha

Samantha Report 10 Jun 2014 09:19

Go and join Ancestry, much better

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 10 Jun 2014 10:27

Yes Ancestry is better for records, but if you want assistance or advice the forum members on here are very helpful.
The Ancestry site is for lack of a better word sterile when it comes to community spirit..

Wayne

Wayne Report 10 Jun 2014 12:08

Thank you for this detailed response. It's very helpful. If I understand you rightly, the place to be to find records (as opposed to public trees) is a site like Ancestry. So I could have saved my money by not enrolling here and just paying for the upgrade at Ancestry which would allow me to consult UK records. Fortunately I only paid for a one month subscription. Perhaps I'll still be able to avail myself of the warm community offered here and then may want to continue my subscription.

Thanks again--

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne Report 10 Jun 2014 12:18

To Mayfield

You're right about the Ancestry community, I think I may say after being a member for eight years. "Sterile" is not the word I'd have chosen--community is just absent. One finds helpful people and one finds the opposite, people who I probably shouldn't characterize with an epithet here in public space. But over the years, I've made several good friends at Ancestry. Perhaps it's an American thing. We don't have traditional communities, only those that arise spontaneously from a shared interest, however ephemeral.

Thanks again, Wayne

Sirius

Sirius Report 10 Jun 2014 12:21

Wayne, I use Ancestry for records, more especially because they have parish record for areas relevant to me. But the one thing that Genes Reunited has is the wealth of experience of its members, and many of them have access to other records or have specific areas of knowledge.

I hope you will find help when needed on the Find Ancestors or Genealogy chat boards, my advice also would be to make full use of Google, it is amazing what information comes up, eg parish records for small places, snippets of info on names you might be looking for on individual family history groups etc. :-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 10 Jun 2014 13:21

If you are researching the UK there are a lot of people on here with local knowledge.

I would suggest you take out Standard membership which at present is on offer only £1.33 a month if you sign up for 12 months.

Link deleted to avoid confusion please see posting at 23.14 :-0 :-0

That gives you access to contacting other members, viewing thier trees if they consent and access to the help boards, where often other members will help with information freely.

If you do need to search something on genes you can "pay per view" only if you really need to.

As said for information Ancestry is best but avoid ordering certificates via Ancestry as it's much cheaper to go direct to the records offices.

P.S
Worth posting on here or perhaps the Genealogy board the areas in UK you are researching there are lots of local resorces that can be useful members know about.

Wayne

Wayne Report 10 Jun 2014 22:18

Many thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.

Wayne

jax

jax Report 10 Jun 2014 22:34

Wayne

If you have only taken out a monthly sub, make sure you go to your account and subscription details and click Auto renew off otherwise you will be charged next month

Mayfield

The price you are seeing for standard sub is for you, not everyone.....new subscriber would have to pay £19.95 a year (£1.66 pm)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 10 Jun 2014 23:14

Interesting jax same link signed in one price signed out another :-)

I guess as Wyane is already a member he should get the lower price.

To save confusion I have deleted the link.

jax

jax Report 10 Jun 2014 23:31

No I doubt it

I went from 3 years of paying a six monthly sub....transferred over to yearly (because they were messing me around) and it cost me £19.95.....after a year I now get the 20% off so it costs £15.96