General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This is a good download.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 11 Jun 2014 21:45

.......it tells you if a website is safe or not. Read it and see what you think. It works like traffic light colours, and if a site is ok you will have a green circle beside it or along the top of your screen, if its a bad site you will see a red circle. If its white its not known if its good or bad!!

https://www.mywot.com/en/download

jude

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jun 2014 22:38

You could also try McAfee, Norton, IOBit and various others.

None of these add-ons should be totally relied on but they are good indicators - they can also slow your browser down.

Good suggestion though. Cheers Jude.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 11 Jun 2014 22:43

https://safeweb.norton.com/reviews?url=mywot.com

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Jun 2014 08:26

Ohh just read the link, maybe l should get rid of and get Norton........my neighbour has used WOT for years and had no probs!!

By the way when l asked about my neighbour and Windows 8...he got scammed and all his accounts were blocked!!!!! so somewhere along the line the WOT did'nt work. He was downloading 8.1 from microsoft at the time!!
jude

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 12 Jun 2014 08:50

Hi Jude
Sorry to hear that about your neighbour.
The problem with many of these add-ons and/or sites is that they are only as good as the people who provide the information and there are some people out there who take great delight in providing false information because they have a bee in their bonnet or just feel like mischief making.

They do serve a purpose but should only be used as an additional tool to give an indication about how safe a site may or may not be.

What has happened with your neighbout?

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Jun 2014 11:04

Errol...
Its the neighbour you were trying to help the other day, whilst he was downloading 8.1 from windows his puter got a trojan...NOT your fault.
He's still having problems getting the puter how he wants it, he has a dongle, no phone line and just can't get internet.. He'll get it sorted some time, its too complicated for me...lol

jude

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 12 Jun 2014 11:15

If he needs a hand tell him to give me a shout.

Does he know how he got the Trojan and which one it is?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Jun 2014 12:19

I was going to say that I have Norton which advises on problem sites.

Also I tend to use the same online sites all the time. ;-) ;-)

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Jun 2014 13:31

He says from downloading windows 8.1
These are the trogans....

TroganDownloader:Win32/Muzat.A

Trogen Fake MSWimsys86

he spelt these as trogan and trogen

l think l will download the Norton thingie:)

Thanks Errol and Dave
jude

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 12 Jun 2014 13:43

oopsie - he needs to get rid PDQ !

DO NOT download anti virus software (norton etc) using the infected computer.

He needs to get rid and scan for rootkits.

I suggest downloading a standalone scanner/software onto a clean, empty dongle and/or bootable DVD using somebody else's computer and connection.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Jun 2014 14:01

He's done it now....and he said earlier he has internet now!!

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Jun 2014 14:07

With this Norton thing....do l keep the vault open or closed??

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 12 Jun 2014 14:34

I use Norton safe search, which is part of my norton package it is reassuring as it gives a logo against most sites saying which are safe or not the icon can be clicked on for more info as well.

I find the Vault a pain in the "you know what" to use and should it go wrong or you forget your password there is no way whatever to get in to it you are locked out for good, unless you are maybe a total expert hacker (or Cloe from the TV series 24). However even with Norton which I would recommend I have gone to safe sites and then had warnings. I guess it is because the site has been got at since Norton last tested it.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 12 Jun 2014 14:43

A site itself may be safe but external links and/or advertisements on the site may not be. This site has had that sort of problem historically.

Jude - do you mean the identity safe?

Glad your friend is up and running - I would still recommend a total sweep of the system though.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Jun 2014 14:51

Errol...yes:)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 12 Jun 2014 20:05

Keep it closed - although I am not a big fan of it.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Jun 2014 21:54

Ta:)