General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Phone Hacking Trial - Cameron need to come clean

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Jun 2014 12:06

Rebecca Brooks has been found not guilty of all charges of phone hacking but former News of the World editor Andy Coulson found guilty at the Old Bailey in London of conspiring to hack phones - more verdicts to come.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Jun 2014 12:22

Brooks's former personal assistant Cheryl Carter was cleared of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Brooks's husband Charlie and NI director of security Mark Hanna were also cleared of perverting the course of justice.

Retired managing editor Stuart Kuttner was also cleared of being part of a conspiracy dating back to 2000 and spanning six years.

The jury is still considering further charges against Coulson and former News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman of conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office by paying police officers for two royal directories.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Jun 2014 12:53

In July 2011 the Prime Minister David Cameron said in the House of Commons "I have an old-fashioned view about innocent until proven guilty. But if it turns out I have been lied to, that would be the moment for a profound apology. In that event, I can tell you I will not fall short"

Having told the House of Commons that he would make a profound apology if it emerged that Andy Coulson lied over his involvement in illegal phone hacking, now that Coulson has been found guilty - will the Prime Minister now do this, will he do it publicly at the Dispatch Box in the House of Commons or will he release something through a spokesman via the media, and how profound will his apology be?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jun 2014 13:41

David Cameron has just been on the news making an apology for employing Coulson but I didn't think it was much of an apology - very short and perfunctory.

Kath. x

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Jun 2014 14:02

I think the reason for the time gap from the time the verdict was issued till he "sneaked" out his apology via Sky - was he needed to check with Maria Miller his ex Culture Secretary on how to make an apology - remember her 31-second apology over the issue surrounding her expenses:-D

He has the audacity to call that apology "full and frank" - full and frank my ? (I won't say it) his apology was a cop out and in my view feeble, he should have come to the House of Commons and stood at the Dispatch Box to make his apology - Prime Ministers Questions tomorrow should be quite interesting ;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Jun 2014 16:57

I am saying absolutely nothing about the verdict (please read into that what you will)

Sue

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Jun 2014 17:52

saying nuffin' either :-D

Linda

Linda Report 24 Jun 2014 18:13

All I will say is Where there is smoke there is fire. :-D :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 25 Jun 2014 08:14

I agree, no smoke without fire, and this whole issue is hidden in thick smoke, money buys power and many of those involved were part of the so called Chipping Norton Set - consisting of powerful political and media figures, and this elite clique certainly had both of these. The Prime Minister should not be allowed to brush the issue aside with the feeble apology he issued yesterday.

He needs to explain why he ignored advice from his Director of Strategy Steve Hilton, his Chief of Staff Ed Llewellyn, the Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, the Liberal Democrat Peer Paddy Ashdown, the Labour MP Tom Watson.

All of these individuals warned the Prime Minister about appointing Andy Coulson, not least the Prime Minister needs to explain why he did not allow Andy Coulson to be subjected to the normal security checks which are usually carried out on prospective Downing Street employees - let's face it Andy Coulson was no ordinary employee he was the Prime Ministers Director of Communications, right at the heart of Downing Street.

Everything surrounding this saga stinks :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 25 Jun 2014 10:41

I am watching This Morning and there is a very interesting perspective being voiced by somebody involved with the case.

I am not saying I agree with them but they are extremely interesting.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Jun 2014 10:45

it's all extremely fishy

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 25 Jun 2014 12:10

Cameron's getting a real mauling at PMQs.

Well deserved.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Jun 2014 12:15

One does wonder if the jury had consisted of more men whether or not she would have been found innocent!

I do think that women have an aversion of finding others guilty and then sending them to prison........

Me, I think they were all guilty as hell.

:-D

Sirius

Sirius Report 25 Jun 2014 12:18

I expect her book will be out soon . :-|

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Jun 2014 13:10

Didn't learn anything new on this topic during PMQs. Just a lot of hot air interrupted occasionally by the two main mealy-mouthed protagonists.

Deplorable politics.

Sirius

Sirius Report 25 Jun 2014 13:13

I just wonder how much Coulson will have to be paid to keep his mouth shut :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 25 Jun 2014 13:14

We can't have been watching the same programme, Dermot. What was deplorable was the abusive cat calling and whining from the Tory back benches.

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Jun 2014 13:17

Guinevere: Selective deafness - that's my problem!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 25 Jun 2014 14:38

And just to make the Prime Minister's day - the judge in the trial has severely criticised David Cameron from the bench. The judge Mr Justice Saunders rebuked David Cameron for commenting on the conviction of Andy Coulson while the phone-hacking trial was still going on, the judge said he consider that what has happened was unsatisfactory so far as justice and the rule of law are concerned.

The Prime Minister made his apology yesterday outside the chamber of the House of Commons, so I don't think it would be covered by Parliamentary Privilege - perhaps Mr Justice Saunders should have had the Prime Minister brought before him for Contempt of Court, that might have got rid of this weak prime minister and hopefully brought the government down ;-)