General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Zero Hours contracts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jun 2014 16:04

I just signed a petition to demand the government take action over zero hours contracts. Please can you sign it too?
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/zerohours

The announcement on banning exclusivity is a good first step, but doesn't go far enough. The controversial contracts can mean that employees have no sick pay, holiday pay, or guaranteed hours from week to week. The government hasn't properly listened to the 36,000 members of 38 Degrees who fed into the public consultation. So the more of us that sign the petition, the stronger the message to Vince Cable.

Sign the petition here:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/zerohours

Thanks,
Ann

Von

Von Report 25 Jun 2014 16:45

Have signed it Ann

I'll be getting a reputation soon and be on some government list somewhere I've signed that many petitions recently ;-) ;-) ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Jun 2014 17:13

I've signed it.

It's hardly surprising the Government haven't listened - all the people on zero hours contract - ie with no contract of work - are off the unemployment lists!! :-(

Graham

Graham Report 25 Jun 2014 17:27

If you work less than 16 hours per week you can still claim benefits as a part-time worker. But you obviously have to declare what work you're doing.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Jun 2014 18:32

.....you never know how many hours you're working.....

Linda

Linda Report 25 Jun 2014 18:41

I've sighed it Ann

Sallie

Sallie Report 25 Jun 2014 20:27

I've also signed it Ann

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jun 2014 21:07

Graham with zero hours you can be called in or not called in on the day,mor you can be told you are working five days then it us cancelled. It is all to the benefit if the employer with no benefit to employee and it is almost impossible to get a mortgage.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 25 Jun 2014 21:58

Signed

Tec :-)

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 25 Jun 2014 21:58

Signed

Tec :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jun 2014 22:10

Thanks to those who have signed, I have a grandson and his fiancee working zero hours, it is very restrictive and unfortunately more and more employers are using this method of employment. Some schemes are better than others but none are really acceptable. Sports Direct are one firm whose employees are on zero hours.