General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What job did you want when you grew up?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 27 Jun 2014 17:11

Hello

When you were young, what job did you want to do?

Did you get the job?

Or do you/did you enjoy the employment you secured?

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 27 Jun 2014 17:14

Hi Elizabeth

At one time I wanted to be a ballerina

I grew to 5 foot 10 inches, and as clumsy and awkward as can be! :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2014 17:23

I always wanted to work in a library, I ended up a civil Servant and yes I enjoyed my jobs in the CS most of the time.

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 27 Jun 2014 17:45

Yes I did do what I wanted to do,& actually got the best job ever BEFORE I left school, lol.

Being daft on babies from a very young age I always wanted to work with babies & young children.
I was very lucky to get a job working at the local council run Day Nursery, started as a pre trainer on New years Day 1962 when I was 15, pre training for me lasted for 2 & a 1/2 years.
When I reached 17 & still at the same nursery I went on to the 2 year course to train as a Nursery Nurse (NNEB)continuing to be employed at the nursery with 2 days out on the course.

Learned a great deal whilst at the nursery,worked VERY hard,strict working conditions but loved every minute of my time there.
Had to move on on completion of my training,went on to work with Premature babies at the local maternity hospital, in time I returned to the nursery of my training in charge of the baby department.
Great times,wonderful memories.

Joan.

JustJean

JustJean Report 27 Jun 2014 18:40

No I wanted to be a window dresser, but because of family problems finished up working in a cotton mill,had loads of jobs over the years , finished with my own shop selling childrens clothes loved it...

love Jean xx

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Jun 2014 18:42

I wanted to be a journalist but was put off the idea by various people including my parents.
However, I eventually managed to get into the profession and ended up being a newspaper editor.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 27 Jun 2014 19:07

I was so mad about dogs that I wanted to be a kennel maid, but Mam was always telling me I'd come home smelling :-S

I left school at 15yrs and promptly had my name put down at local department store.
After a year waiting & working in an office till I was the right age,I started a five year apprenticeship as an upholsteress.

Solrosen

Solrosen Report 27 Jun 2014 20:03

I must have been about 10yrs old, and on holiday in Wales when I was given a finger alphabet card which, by the time I went home, I knew by heart.
From that moment I promised myself that I would learn signing in the hope that I could hopefully become a teacher of same - but I missed out on Grammar school and decided to leave school at 15yrs to work in an office.
No regrets - plenty of experience gained along the way - and I can still finger spell.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 27 Jun 2014 20:06

DON'T KNOW ABOUT JOB ,BUT I KNEW I WANTED TO GO TO
ART SCHOOL,
NEVER MADE IT,,,,,XXX

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 27 Jun 2014 21:06

I wanted to be a horse, then a gamekeeper, then an air hostess...........but it wasn't to be *sighs*

The best job I have ever had, apart from being a wife and mother, has to be the one I have now.

Working with children with special needs in our local primary school :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jun 2014 21:46

I so wanted to be a journalist - love writing - once won a national letter writing competition in the Good Housekeeping Magazine - but it wasn't to be - went to commercial school for shorthand and typing and had two great jobs - one as secretary to the managing director of the local cigar factory - Hamlet, Manikin etc. and then after my son started school, got a secretarial post at our local psychiatric hospital ending up on the Neuropsychiatry Unit with people who had suffered acquired brain injuries - brilliant job

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 27 Jun 2014 22:33

Think I wanted to be nun.after sound of music. Then a live in nanny, or working in a holiday camp. I was desperate to get away from a controlling mother.
left school in 76 when the new leaving age (16) came in so technically had two years leaving and loads of unemploymjent. I got an office job about a yr later and left home.
Anne

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 27 Jun 2014 23:10

Dear All

Hello

Very interesting replies.

Always very appreciated and thank you. :-)

Lots of good wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Jun 2014 23:12

When I was young, I wanted to work in a library.
When I left scool in 1975, I joined a telecoms company, now known as BT.
I left in 1991 after the birth of my 2nd daughter.
I had a number of part time jobs after that

About 6 or 7 years ago, my eldest daughter had a summer job working in a library and when she left to go back to Uni, they asked if she knew anyone who would be interested in taking over from her.

She suggested me!

I've been working in the library ever since and I think it's one of the best jobs ever!
I have no contract, and simply fill in when required... plenty of hours available, but I can choose if I want to work or not which means I can take holidays whenever I want!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 27 Jun 2014 23:19

KittytheLearnerCook - you wanted to be a horse?

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 27 Jun 2014 23:40

GLASGOW LASS
I DID WORK IN A LIBRARY FOR OVER 12 YEARS LOL.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 28 Jun 2014 23:02

Dear All

Hello

Thank you for the extra replies.

I remember this:

Careers Adviser: "So what do you want to do when you grew up?"

School kid: "Employed, mate."

This has even more relevant now than in the 1970's.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth,
xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jun 2014 23:33

I wanted to be - and still want to be, a 'lady of leisure'. :-D