General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Legal protection

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Jul 2014 11:12

About time too...

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Jul 2014 11:12

In a timely decision, ships which were sunk in WWI are to be given better protection under a new UN agreement. I am all for exploration and research, particularly for historical reasons, but too many of these ships are being slowly destroyed - both by deliberate means and innocent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28056244

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 1 Jul 2014 12:48

Good, many are not just wrecks to be plundered but are graves as well.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Jul 2014 12:58

Yes I agree - these old wrecks should be treated with respect because they are more than that.
It is very difficult to monitor but hopefully the new protection will be enforced to an extent.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 1 Jul 2014 13:28

I was on the island of Vatersay last month and stopped to take a photo of a WW2 memorial.
In 1944 a Catalina plane on a training exercise crashed onto the Scottish island, and 3 of the 9 crewmen were killed.
After taking the photo, I spotted the wreckage of the tail section lying on the rocks next to the plaque..
It's all still there, apparently untouched for the last 70 years!

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 1 Jul 2014 13:32

aha a flying boat !

I love them.