General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

We've chatted about schoolgirls...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Jul 2014 07:26

What about schoolboys?

:-D

One of my brothers is bald. The others have thick hair.

My theory is........ the oldest brother is of the generation who went to school with their hair plastered with Brylcream & wearing a school cap!

Brother's theory is.... grass doesn't grow on a busy street.

:-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Jul 2014 07:45

Think I can knock that theory out of the window lol

My o.h.'s two sons are partly bald like him and his father and uncle before him. They didn't wear school caps or brylcreem lol

My brother is bald like some of my maternal uncles. My Dad still had hair on his head when he died, aged 79 and most of his brothers were the same.

My son, touch wood, doesn't seem to be losing any hair (he is mid age between o.h.'s two sons) and is like his Maltese Dad, who still has lots of hair.

Lizx

SueCar

SueCar Report 5 Jul 2014 08:28

I've heard that baldness comes from the mother's side of the family.

Dermot

Dermot Report 5 Jul 2014 09:02

I'm following the Homer Simpson route too soon! And I'm not a 'rug' wearing person.

But clearly a full head of hair is a lifeline for some people – or at least for Wayne Rooney and Terry Wogan – while others usher the tide out as quickly as possible by shaving their domes even before the last strands have given up the ghost.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Jul 2014 10:39

My paternal grandfather was bald (that's how I remember him, but he did have nice dark hair when he was young), my father also was bald.

My maternal grandfather didn't go bald, and he didn't go grey either! A full head of jet-black hair until the day he died. The theory on that is that he is descended from a Spanish sailor who was shipwrecked on the Irish coast.

My OH has a little bald spot on the back of his head. I find it very useful to check my lipstick :-D

Some men suit a bald head (Yul Bryner :-) ), but NOBODY suits a comb-over :-(

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 5 Jul 2014 11:45

My dad used to blame the centre pad on his wartime tin helmet :-D but the fact is most men follow their fathers pattern of baldness, either the "monks" patch or the receding front. My father was the "monk" and I am the same while my cousins father was the receding and he also went that way :-(

On the subject of schoolboys, who remembers those awful Banner shirts that seemed to be made from wirewool! Or short trousers with a rough bottom edge where they were finished that chafed on the inside of cold sore legs in the winter :-P

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Jul 2014 12:03

It's said that......

Men who go bald on the back of their head are sexy.

Men who go bald on the front of their head are thinkers.

Men who go bald all over their head think they are sexy.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 5 Jul 2014 12:20

Ooo! Thank you I am bald at the back :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Jul 2014 12:40

:-D :-D

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 5 Jul 2014 14:41

Well my Dad was bald but he reckoned it was because he had curly hair and it seems to be true you don't see many curly haired older men .... well I don't seem to :-D .....

jax

jax Report 5 Jul 2014 15:54

My ex is mostly bald with grey bits around the side.....met his dad once but cant remember what he looked like

OH has full head of hair and no grey (same age as ex over 60) his father now 87 has full head of hair but grey now

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jul 2014 20:42

my Dad had very curly hair and still had it when he died in his eighties and he was hardly grey at all - also had all his own teeth

OH went white an early age - he put this down to having been in the Far East when they were testing atomic bombs

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 7 Jul 2014 17:18

You don't see many curly haired bald men either Nolls. :-D

I thought the subject was schoolboys not bald headed men.....but anyway....my Father had jet black hair with not a sign of baldness until the day he died.....my brother went bald in his 30s.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 8 Jul 2014 10:44

I rest my point Susan :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jul 2014 10:46

What about older men who are bald on top, and have grown the back bit into a ponytail?

ewwwwwwwwww :-( :-(

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 8 Jul 2014 12:33

MY OH HAS A LOT OF GREY HAIR HE'S 67
OUR SON AGE 41 IS LOOSING A LOT OF HAIR