General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One of the saddest family disputes I have read

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 7 Jul 2014 12:25

Having been born and brought up in Fife I have been following this story for quite a while, it has to be one of the saddest family disputes I have read :-)

A legal battle over the burial of a Black Watch soldier who died in 2011 is set to continue.

Private Mark Connolly's body has been kept in a morgue in London for the last three years as his wife and mother went to court over where he should be laid to rest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-28192647

As this is an ongoing court case, please be careful what you post - thank you

May you soon R.I.P. Mark Connolly <3

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 7 Jul 2014 12:28

How disrespectful :-|. May you soon be laid to rest Mark. <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jul 2014 12:34

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Mersey

Mersey Report 7 Jul 2014 12:35

How very sad :-( <3

Island

Island Report 7 Jul 2014 12:41

How selfish and undignified. The soldiers widow is next of kin so why is this even a case for the courts?

The time between a loved ones death and the funeral is awful. How can this woman prolong the agony for her daughter in law and disrespect her son as well?

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 7 Jul 2014 13:04

It appears that his mother was named as executor in his will, however his wife claims her husband had originally named her as executor after their wedding in 2009, but changed it to his mother after a senior army officer wrongly told him he could not name his wife as executor.

I believe, that in Scots Law, burial rights are governed by Common Law, normally burial rights belong to the next of kin, which in this case would be his wife, alas when a dispute arises it is for the courts to decide, in this case the court ruled in favour of his wife, but now his mother has lodged an appeal against that ruling :-(

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 7 Jul 2014 16:54

All I can say is " Totally disrespectful to the memory of Mark"

R.I.P Mark.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 7 Jul 2014 18:11

May you soon have the rest you deserve, brave soldier.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 7 Jul 2014 20:20

:-( :-( :-( :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Jul 2014 02:31

Sad that the two people who loved him so much should be at odds over this. I hope things work out right in the end and this poor man can be laid to rest with dignity.

Rest in peace, Mark

Liz

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jul 2014 09:20

Such a shame - why couldn't they have the body cremated, then split the ashes between the two sites???

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 8 Jul 2014 10:13

When I die and, hopefully, move on to a better place, I don't really care what happens to my empty body...............I won't be in it .