General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have I got a duff router

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Jul 2014 13:44

Took out a contract with Orange last August.
The WiFi router has never been satisfactory & I have been complaining about it ever since.
Loses connection when more than 10 feet from router.
Won´t connect in other parts of the flat, nor on the patio.
Is rarely connected to the laptop when I switch on, although the router is never turned off.
Some days, loses the connection & has to be re booted every few minutes.
When this happens, at times the PC asks me to re enter the router password.
Very reluctant to connect to my tablet. Will only do so if I am within a few feet of it.
Orange say its the phone line at fault. Phone engineer says there is nothing wrong with it.
Orange also suggest there are too many windows & the signal can´t pass through glass????? (It doesn´t have to & anyway there is only one window plus the patio door.
They also say I´m too far away from the server hub.......I live in the middle of town.
Any helpful suggestions please.
I´m almost at the end of the 12 months contract. If I change to another provider, do you think I will have the same problems?
Perhaps I should just move house. :-S :-S :-S

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jul 2014 13:49

Do you have satelitte telly

Most such as Virgin. Sky etc do packages

I have Sky everything. Telly, phone and Broadband. Not cheap but for me has been a good thing. And (touch wood) when any problems do occur have always had them resolved quickly.

You will get lots of opinions, may be worth your while looking at a Which Guide. Go to their site and they will have all sorts there. To get any guide will cost you £1.00, and then you have to cancel your membership by a certain date (they tell you when when you call)

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Jul 2014 13:56

I don´t live in England & we can´t get Sky packages (or any other) in Spain

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Jul 2014 14:01

Sorry, only trying to be helpful.

Did not know where you lived.

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Jul 2014 14:15

Thanks for your input anyway.

Kense

Kense Report 8 Jul 2014 14:30

If it is an option, have you tried changing the channel it uses?

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Jul 2014 14:33

No I havent, but I think if it was an option, Orange would have suggested it, as I have been on almost daily contact with them for the past 9 months.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jul 2014 15:43

Maybe Tenerife sun or Uzzi could advise you although I know you don't live on either Tenerife or mainland Spain but they might have some suggestions. :-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 8 Jul 2014 16:11

Phone and and ask for a MAC (Migration Authorisation Code) because you are changing provider. Suddenly they will be all fluffy customer service and unable to do too much for you ;-)

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Jul 2014 16:30

To be honest, as far as technology is concerned Menorca is still emerging from the 19th century, never mind being nearly 2 decades into the 21st.
I was getting faster & more reliable connections on dial up until I changed last summer.
Have already told Customer Services that I am appalled at the service I have recieved & won´t be renewing my contract.
When I had trouble with my phone last winter, the engineer had the cheek to suggest that the cat had peed on it. Apart from the fact that he has never ever peed in the house, the connector is behind a cupboard, so he would need the strength of an elephant to move it. Much easier to use his litter tray.
Mind you, I have to give these engineers marks for ingenuity.