General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New rules for the police - am I missing something

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Jul 2014 08:50

The College of Policing has drawn up a new set of rules in relation to officers behaviour, however according to the report these are yet to be approved by Parliament.

The new rules cover issues such as, being rude to the public, clocking on when unfit or impaired through drinking alcohol, using drugs, or having sex while on duty, failure to abide by the rules could lead to disciplinary action and possible dismissal..

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/police-officers-set-to-adopt-new-ethics-code-9601954.html

Why do they need new rules :-S I would have thought that there were already rules in place that would mean that any officer found to have committed any of these offences would be disciplined, maybe I am missing something :-S

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 13 Jul 2014 10:00

Pity we cannot have some new rules for the public.

It winds me up when you watch "cop with cameras" programmes the amount of abuse and threats people make to police and get away with it scot free!

Also the oiks that lie outright to the police about their identity or driving status, plod spends an hour or so before it comes out they are lying and nothing is done about it.

Surely abusing or threatening a police officer or giving false information should carry an automatic penalty apart from whatever the pond life was pulled up for in the first place? :-P

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Jul 2014 10:14

I am in favour of the courts, using summary justice, to deal with anyone actually caught committing an offence, no bail, no jury trial, straight before a magistrate or judge, it would save a lot of time and resources.

Dermot

Dermot Report 13 Jul 2014 11:08

Mayfield - 'Plod' & 'Pond Life' are not very frendly expressions.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 13 Jul 2014 11:15

PC Plod keeps Noddy Big Ears and the other residents of Toytown safe and is a respected member of the community.

Pond Life on the other hand is I thought a rather mild term to use for those who disregard the law insult the police and live off society with out obeying any of it's rules ;-)

Harry

Harry Report 13 Jul 2014 11:18

As a served 30 years police officer, my experience is that - if you have done wrong - better to be dealt with by strong verbage than the quiet approach.

With the former, you only got told off. With the latter, you ended up in court.

However policeman are not as polite as they used to be, but they don't shoulder all the blame. They are products of society, and society has changed for the worse.

Happy days

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Jul 2014 11:39

Harry - when I reminisce to when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's. the villages I grew up in were thriving communities, everyone knew everyone in a village, people watched out for each other, and the local policeman was not only trusted, he was respected - so called progress has seen many changes to the way we live, some for the better, alas many I think have changed for the worse.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jul 2014 12:34

The police have never been or tried to be polite with the riff raff and worse that they try and protect the rest of the public from - why should they be ?
My father was a London copper and would be revolving in his grave at the current nonsense.

Theresa May is quite wrong the problem is not with the police it is with the public of which a far greater part have joined the law breakers than 40 years ago.

Let's see we have a little list.

Fiddling the taxes and just a little VAT
Not paying duty and driving with red oil
Something recreational which never will be missed
My friend is Johnny Walker but I am never pissed
The orficer should salute my super motor car
Although I may be mist, oblivious to it all
The paperwork may not be right I may be a little tight
And little Johnnie's insurance has been cooked
Along with all my books
The plumber is from Poland and the help from YangYanStan
So we pay them all in cash
From our undeclared stash
But damn it all we are fine upstanding citizens
Who understand the law
So the boys in blue must say hello and watch their step with us
They never would be missed, they never would be missed.

Respect is earned not given. How does today's Joe Public and MP command respect by default from the boys and girls in blue ? Beats me.

:-0