General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

History has just been made

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Jul 2014 16:31

The Church of England has voted to allow women bishops :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2014 16:35

Bit late!!
This lovely lady became a Bishop 12 years ago:

http://archive.thetablet.co.uk/article/10th-august-2002/27/catholic-theologian-made-bishop-dr-elizabeth-stuar

Liz was one of my lecturers when I was at Uni - 1996 - 1999

:-D :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Jul 2014 16:44

The C. of E. never rushes into anything does it? :-D :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Jul 2014 16:55

Doesn't affect me one little bit (stop laughing Cyn). I'd bet that some old fossils will be up in arms shortly though :-P

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Jul 2014 16:56

Not a problem for my church, the Church of Scotland, they don't have bishops :-D

Kense

Kense Report 14 Jul 2014 17:09

Even the RCs had a female pope once (or did they?). :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2014 17:20

Hence new popes being held aloft on chairs with holes in the seat :-S

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 14 Jul 2014 18:36

"The Church of England has voted to allow women bishops"/

Which begs the question ... So what! :-S

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Jul 2014 22:44

Supercrutch......moi? Laugh? Never been known............. :-D

Anyway, they have made provision for the old fossils...........of which I ain't one. ;-)

Budgie! Do you mean you haven't been riveted to the TV all day? Good grief, where is your sense of ..........er.......boredom? :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2014 04:51

we've had women bishops in the Anglican Church in Canada for just over 20 years!

The first woman bishop in the Anglican Church of Canada was the Rt. Rev. Victoria Matthews. Bishop Matthews was elected Suffragan Bishop in the Diocese of Toronto on 19 November 1993. She was consecrated 12 February 1994.

Bishop Matthews was later elected Diocesan Bishop of Edmonton (the first woman diocesan bishop in Canada) on 8 March 1997 and installed in Edmonton on 30 May 1997. She resigned that position in 2007, and then was subsequently elected Bishop of Christchurch in the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia in 2008.

7 more women bishops have been elected since Bishop Matthews, all of whom are still in office