General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Microsoft code

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Jul 2014 13:03

Am getting a message every time I log in to my e mail account, telling me I need a code.
It´s bringing up an e mail a/c I haven´t used for at least 5 years, but when I alter it to my current one, it says it can´t accept it.
Have been going round in circles for days now.
Have looked at all the FAQs, but nothing answers my question,other than to ask me for another e mail account, which I haven´t got.
Tried to e mail them but just get a drop down menu.
Apparently if I don´t get this code today, I won´t be able to access my e mails any more.
Help!!!! :-0

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 16 Jul 2014 13:29

Have you tried goolgling mircrsoft code . there is a lot on it but I am none the wiser.

Anne

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 16 Jul 2014 13:39

Sounds like you registered your old account as one to help reset this one if there was a problem, so it will only send info to that old account, can you still access the old account?

There is of course the possibility your account has been compromised :-(

Why not open another account with your provider in another name at least you will be able to email them then.

Check if any of your contacts have had odd emails too.

Just off for a few days now, hope it gets sorted.
Best wishes,
Mayfield

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Jul 2014 13:43

Thanks both of you.
Will try the suggestions.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 16 Jul 2014 16:50

Is it as BT Yahoo account?

If not, what sort is it?

What is the exact message you are getting?

Would it be possible to send a screenshot?

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Jul 2014 19:12

It´s a Windows Live account (live.com)

The message says that Microsoft take their security seriously & that I need to have a code to access my account.
Then it asks where I want the code sent to & quotes an e mail address I haven´t used for about 6 years,
If I then click where it says enter your current e mail address, it tells me it can´t use it & to give an alternative. I only have 1 e mail account.
Then it asks for my code....which I don´t have. If I click to say I don´t have one, it takes me back to the beginning again & we keep going round in circles.
I have been able to override it up to now, but today is the
last time it will let me do it.
Can´t send a screen shot because once I have overridden it, it doesn´t re appear until the next day.
Am wondering if it´s some sort of virus. or whether it is genuine.

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 16 Jul 2014 19:17

Does it give you the option to have the code sent to you via txt message.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jul 2014 19:18

would a reboot sort it ??

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Jul 2014 20:38

Being a lazy sot of person, and, through experience - 'updates' aren't always good, I reset my computer to a couple of weeks before.

wisechild

wisechild Report 17 Jul 2014 14:53

Tried a system restore.
No joy.
Can´t access e mails at all now.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 17 Jul 2014 19:33

The first thing I would do is try to access the account from another computer.

If you have the same problem then in all likelihood it is an issue with the account rather than the computer.

On the other hand, if you can log in without problem then it is quite likely a problem with your computer.

Incidentally, System Restore is not the magic button everyone thinks it is and can sometimes be a somewhat dangerous option.