General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh dear, what a worry.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 19 Jul 2014 21:30

I have just had an email from my niece. She tells me that my sister has been having tests for Altheimers.

She hasn't been in contact for a while, not replying to my emails or texts for several months, which in itself isn't too unusual. We can go for a long time without contact and we quite a way from each other, me in Somerset her in Surrey.

The worry is that she is only just fifty and has a lot of our Mum's traits. These being a bit vague, same rather off the wall attitude.

Mum started to show the signs in her mid forties and died at sixty four.

I do so hope that we are not all going to have to go through it all again with another one who is far too young to have such a terrible illness.

M.

Linda

Linda Report 19 Jul 2014 21:46

So sorry to hear this Maryanna but I'm sure if they get it earlier enough there will be treatment to hold it back but yes it is to early I'll be thinking of you and your family <3 <3

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 19 Jul 2014 21:52

Thank you Linda, I know that medicine has improved since Mum was ill and she has been gone for twenty years.

M.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 19 Jul 2014 21:59

Hi Maryanna, I am sorry to hear about your sister and hope she gets lots of help to slow down the alzeimers if that is what the problem is. Take care

Sylvia

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jul 2014 22:01

Maryanna that is such a worry for you and you family. As has been said I hope that she is able to be given the drugs that slow down the onset of this horrible disease. Sending you a ((((((hug))))))) and I am thinking of you. <3 <3

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 19 Jul 2014 22:14

Thank you Sylvia and Ann, fingers crossed that it turns out to be something less serious or that she can get suitable treatment if it has been caught early enough.

M.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 20 Jul 2014 07:12

How awful :-(

There are more medications around today to slow down the progress of Alzheimers......it is a cruel disease.

There are many other illnesses it could be though Maryanna, fingers crossed it is good news for you all soon <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Jul 2014 07:13

I understand your worry Maryanna but hope your sister can be helped by medication to continue to live an independent and happy life for a long while yet, and then to go on to assisted care to keep her with you all.

Occasionally dehyrdration can cause confusion but the tests being carried out will ascertain the true scale of your sister's problem and things sorted out from there.

Try not to stress out too much, I know you would wish you could be nearer and help her but just do what you can from a distance and look after your own health.

Lizx

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 20 Jul 2014 09:59

Thank you Liz and Kitty.

I can feel my BP going up already. I was only just starting to get it under control after all the stress of Dad's illness and passing.

Maybe that is why my sister was of no use during that time, leaving it all to me. Perhaps it didn't quite sink in how bad things were and how much there was to do.

M.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Jul 2014 13:54

Maryanna, please see your doctor and tell him what is happening so they can help you. If your bp goes up and causes you more problems, it won't be useful to your family. I know how difficult it will be but I hope you feel able to come on here and let off some steam to help you stay calm. Stress causes so many problems and you have had your fair share and more but your own good health is so important now.

Take care and look after yourself very carefully,

Lizxx

Jane

Jane Report 20 Jul 2014 15:27

Have PM'd you Maryanna <3