General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Umbilicial hernia op under Epidural.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 21 Jul 2014 11:25

Has anyone had an op for an umbilical hernia under Epidural anethesia please.

Just been in for mine and was told from the anethesitist that with an epidural I would/could still feel the cutting and pain..

I think she was trying to talk me round to having a general anethesia so they could kick me out today.

Thanks

wisechild

wisechild Report 21 Jul 2014 15:54

OH had his done last September.
The info we were given led us to believe he would be having an epidural, but when we got to the hospital he was given a general
We were back home in 5 hours & we live an hours´journey from the hospital
He had very little discomfort afterwards & was completely healed in a couple of weeks.
This was done in a very small Spanish hospital

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 21 Jul 2014 17:07

Wisechild,

Thanks for answering..

I am not allowed general as I have C O P D and the surgeon agreed weeks ago for me to have the epidural and also again this morning.

But the anesthestist gave me all the bad points of epidural and very few good points.

I an now looking around for an anesthetist that will do the op in another hospital.

I know there is someone on GR that had the op under epidural as I read the thread a few weeks ago.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 21 Jul 2014 20:16

Women go through labour and/or have have pain free cesarean sections with an epidural, so I can't see why a much less invasive surgery should be painful :-S

Edit to add..............but then again I am not an anaesthetist or surgeon
:-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Jul 2014 01:33

O.h. has a procedure (op) last month in a very sensitive area, and had general anaesthetic and an epidural and was ready for home and fine after only a few hours (in at 12.30pm and I picked him up at 5pm) The epidural lasted well so he was pain free for several hours and then had painkillers ( ibuprofen and paracetomol which he had to provide himself)

Hope you can get things sorted so your op can be done soon with the minimum of pain and discomfort.

On One born every minute, you see the women having epidurals but they still feel the tugging when the baby is brought out, that seems to be the norm and they are warned they will feel it. I expect it's what the anaesthetist meant, I am sure you wouldn't feel the cutting, just the pressure.

Lizx

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 22 Jul 2014 05:05

Had an epidural for one knee replacement fell asleep right away but woke up during it thinking "I hadn't heard the drill" whereupon I did hear it and thought "There it is - Oh that's good" and fell back to sleep. Lady in next bed just talked all the time to the anaesthetist then wondered who's leg she was seeing sticking up in the air. No pain at all during op. and lasted quite a few hrs afterwards so as Kitty says cant see why it should be so painful but we may well be wrong. Had second knee under a general and must admit had no pain afterwards for nearly 2 days due to getting a nerve blocker . Hope you can get this sorted out to your satisfaction. Sue which hosp are you thinking of? H/gate certainly pushed for epidural in the knee dept. :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Jul 2014 14:53

I had an umbilical hernia and was operated on under epidural. Felt nothing.

That was with Kings at Camberwell. Could not fault the hospital, the service, or the staff.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 22 Jul 2014 15:18

I had an operation using an epidural and i felt a bit of tugging but no pain at all.... the feeling came back in my legs a few hours later and i went home.. :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 22 Jul 2014 16:55

Thanks everyone.

Nolls yes H/gate