General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on holiday entitlement please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 21 Jul 2014 20:32

I have a bit of a problem with the above.
We have to use our annual leave by the end of March use it or lose it, the company is short staffed so some of my requests have been turned down for that reason, so what happens if they cannot grant leave to me?
Hope that makes sense. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jul 2014 20:33

Do you belong to a union?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Jul 2014 20:41

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2518144/I-days-holiday-use-I-make-boss-let-carry-over.html

This may help, good luck

Sue

Edit: Contact ACAS and they will advise on what your contract states.

Gee

Gee Report 21 Jul 2014 20:44

Call ACAS, every case is different tel: 0300 123 1100

They can give you advice over the phone

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Jul 2014 20:48

lolol Gins, I edited my post before I saw yours ;-)

Gee

Gee Report 21 Jul 2014 21:05

No worries Sue :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Jul 2014 11:40

I shall be phoning ACAS and getting the union on the case if necessary, as I think I might lose it because there is enough staff to cover, which isn't my fault.
Thank you everyone :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 22 Jul 2014 12:36

I had a similar problem myself.
I worked only 2 days a week, a Wednesday and a Saturday when the company worked on half staff.
As a newbie, I didn't know that the annual leave rota was put up on their intranet.
Within about an hour of it being posted, every available Saturday slot was filled.
I complained to my line manager but was told that it was my fault and I had to work all the Saturdays in the year and take all my A/L on a Wenesday only?

I was discussing this with a colleague and the newish office manager overheard.
He was not happy with the A/L arrangements and HE granted me my required Saturdays.

In these large companies, the workforce know how to work the system to their own advantage
Apply for Saturdays off that they didn't want, then a few weeks later, swap with a mate for a midweek day off instead.
Right from the outset it had been the mate who wanted that Saturday but had exhausted his own allocation.
The practice was rife.
I left the company!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Jul 2014 14:51

One firm I worked for, if you had not used up your leave entitlement you wrote a letter to HR and got the days unused in pay. A little bonus.

But you really do need to see advice.

Sounds very dodgy to me!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Jul 2014 17:50

Rather than phoning ACAS, Union or whatever, which is really only a least resort, have you spoken to your manager and HR department and asked them what you should do to preserve your entitlement.

We used to get this every year. Most companies either arrange to carry forward a few days or tell you when you can take your leave (it may not be your first choice, but at lease you get the time off) or, in exceptional circumstances, buy you out.