General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deed Poll

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tichey

Tichey Report 22 Jul 2014 13:41

Does anyone know how to find records of names changed by deed poll????

My Husbands Grandfather Changed his name by dead poll after loosing all his
Money ,horses, stables everything on one bet. So I am unable to go any further with my search
I am living in Australia and I am unable to go to The National Archives In ( Kew ) England. We are an English born family emigrated in 1974 to Australia.
Would be so grateful if anyone can help . :-(
Thank you so much
tichey

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 22 Jul 2014 13:50

You could try searching. https://www.thegazette.co.uk

Enter his name.......failing that....try an address

You can find bankrupts too

Edit.....just been on there....so interesting.....someone changed their name from Shufflebottom.....then there is a Willgoose.....then there are the double barrelled name changes......I saw some right up to 1963 so chances are he may be there.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Jul 2014 14:49

The thing with changing your name by deed poll it is done through a solicitor.

My cousin did this many years ago and it took me a very long time to find her as it was not until I found her father that I found out about her name change.

There is no register. And not all are announced.

Tichey

Tichey Report 22 Jul 2014 15:36

Thank you Susan.
Will us your Hot link and keep you informed.
tichey

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 22 Jul 2014 16:08

Have a look Dazed......I would be interested to know if the name is there.

Tichey

Tichey Report 22 Jul 2014 16:42

Hi Susan
Have you actually found a place for deed poll ????
I can't find it.
Where are you looking.??
The Name is From George Peabody to George White
tichey.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 22 Jul 2014 16:49

Unfortunately I can't get into the database....there seems to be an internal error.

No...there isn't actually a database for Deed Poll but if you enter his name it may come up with the name changes that are in there.

mind you....I am on an iPad....maybe someone else could try

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 22 Jul 2014 17:00

Just enter his name in the search engine to the left.....It comes up with a few George Peabody.......maybe he is one of them

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Jul 2014 13:06

Oh I did that a few years ago, she never appeared on there.

I think it was a 'private' arrangement, done legally but without the announcement.

It was odd, as she kept contact with her father and for some years other family members, she just wanted to change her name!

:-)