General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why is it so.......?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Jul 2014 19:11

When I put a dish with a handle (cup, jug etc) in the microwave...

Now matter how long it's in there, 30 seconds, 5 minutes, 20 minutes, whatever...

The handles ALWAYS face the back when it's finished?

:-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Jul 2014 19:19

If that happens I let the machine rotate until the handles face me, THEN open the door......

maybe cos you is in upside downland??

sorry but that didn't answer your question!!

Sirius

Sirius Report 23 Jul 2014 19:27

If you normally put the cup in with the handle facing the front, put it facing the back then it 'should' be facing the front when it stops,,,but then again it might not lol.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Jul 2014 19:47

Good thinking Sirius!

I think there's a gremlin living in the back of the microwave. :-(

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Jul 2014 20:44

MY turntable keeps turning after a "session" until I open the door....thought that they all did that......

Barry_

Barry_ Report 24 Jul 2014 12:29

LadyScozz, I bought a microwave when they were first available (but not in the UK at the time). I bought our Philips' model in the Middle East in August 1981 the instant I saw it in the shop window. It weighed a ton, believe me!
In this early model the glass tray (made by Anchor Hocking) was oblong and the tray and the item did not rotate.
The door had to be opened - which stopped the microwave - and the item manually rotated 180 degrees if desired.
Press Start to continue the cycle.

In October 1970 I was on the first Puma helicopter - still in service today and my current piccy - airframe maintenance course at Blandford Forum for a month.
At lunchtime we were taken to the canteen where numerous meals were prepared and covered with cling film / Saran Wrap.
On each meal and pudding was a coloured plastic stick with a different number of cut-outs each side and thus different lengths.
We put one meal at a time into what I can only describe was a huge kiln type machine, inserted the coloured stick, presumably pressed a Start button, and waited until the cycle dictated by the coloured stick finished.
To our utter amazement our meal was hot and ready to eat in about half a minute.
We were all absolutely fascinated at the speed our meal was ready and could not wait for day two!
I recall this day so clearly.

BTW, I understand the microwave was invented the year after I was born and the year before Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier.

LadyScozz, a very different tack, but are you watching 'A Place To Call Home'? Great Oz series indeed.

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Jul 2014 13:32

It's not 'April Fools' day again?

This reminds me of a present bought for me years ago - an Irish mug with the handle on the inside.

Microwaves had yet to be invented.