General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Immigrant Street

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Jul 2014 22:27

Derby Road in Southampton is up in arms because a company want to make a programme about it being inhabited by immigrants.

I think maggiewinchester will bear me out in this one but I would think Derby Road might be quite pleased to be known as a street full of immigrants because I think of something very different when I hear iy spoken about.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jul 2014 22:55

True Sharron. :-D

Linda

Linda Report 23 Jul 2014 23:50

I think they should make a programme about Southall and how it has changed over the last sixty years

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jul 2014 07:13

I love Southall. After the grimness of the other suburbs there is this throbbing, glowing, pulsating colourful bit of exuberance.

It just puzzles me why it is Southall in particular that is full of immigrants.

At least they haven't robbed it of it's own cottage industry like they have in Southampton!

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Jul 2014 07:31

I wonder if the USA makes similar TV programmes.

America accepted peoples from every nation in the world & converted them into flag-waving democrats.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jul 2014 07:38

Ah yes but we wuz already 'ere.

SueCar

SueCar Report 24 Jul 2014 07:41

We stayed in the cleanest hotel ever when we went to Southall. Next morning we pootled round the shops and found actual fresh dates. Then the most amazing food at the big banqueting rooms for a wedding reception. (Didn't even notice till well into the meal that it didn't include meat).

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Jul 2014 08:50

They seem to enjoy making programmes about areas where people on benefits and immigrants live.

Perhaps they should be more balanced and make a programme about the Chipping Norton area where media executives, politicians and show-business stars have homes and are known as the Chipping Norton Set which which includes, Prime Minister David Cameron, former News International Chief Executive Rebekah Brooks, Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson and Elisabeth Murdoch the daughter of media mogul Rupert Murdoch - lets see how the other half live ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jul 2014 09:20

I have seen programmes like that.

There was one I remember about young people in a posh bit of London once.

It was bloody dull! So dull I can't even remember what it was called or even how long ago I saw it.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Jul 2014 09:50

Sharron - maybe it was "Made In Chelsea" that was about the lives of the champagne-swilling heirs and heiresses of the Chelsea social set ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jul 2014 10:05

No, it was some time ago, could have been twenty years. It was just so dull it didn't hang on anything else in my head.

Maybe there should be a programme about we who Scrooge on benefits. Now that REALLY would be dull!!!

I can tell you it is no easy option getting benefits. Complicated or what!? I would far rather do a days graft than try to keep track of what I have to do next to get a shilling off them.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 24 Jul 2014 10:32

thay should make a program about low payed workers
to see how thay have to live

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jul 2014 10:38

Too many people living it. They wouldn't want to watch.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Jul 2014 10:40

I can just imagine Sharron - when I applied for local authority sheltered housing on the advice of my doctor, I am an insulin dependent diabetic with chronic heart disease which have resulted in mobility problems. Despite this and despite medical evidence from several of my consultants, it was unbelievable, the hoops I had to jump through, to convince them why I should be considered for sheltered accommodation, at the end of the day I had to seek the help of my MP and my local councillor.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Jul 2014 11:00

I just assume the ones who can live well on benefits must be more clever than I am if they can understand all the rigmarole.

Then again, it really isn't very hard to be more clever than I am.

Actually I am really just very pleased I have kept the tenancy.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 24 Jul 2014 11:09

dont no how some people do it we have been on benefits a couple of time
and now way we could live the high live like some clam to live

was bracking in to saveing just to make ends meet every week

:-( :-(