General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh fax it!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Jul 2014 10:26

At least fifteen years ago we bought our telephone which is also a fax machine and answering machine.

In those days we used the fax several times a week and it was the way we communicated with our mates in Africa. Now it just gets used to do a phto-copy sometimes if the scanner is switched off.

However,while the telephone is used and works very well, the ink film has dried out in the fax and it stops the whole thing working. So, just to keep the phone working, I have to spend £26 on a new ink film for the fax that I don't use.

It would cost me a lot more to get a phone and answering machine as good as this one so Isuppose I will be buying one and finding some sort of reason to use it. .

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Jul 2014 11:04

I sympathise Sharron.

I have replaced my Scanner/Printer/ Photocopier a number of times but they all have the same annoying function.
If the ink runs out, nothing works!

I use mine mostly for scanning documents which doesn't use any ink.
If the ink is low, an error message appears on the screen.
The only way to access the menu, ( and my scanner) is by replacing the ink cartridges

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Jul 2014 11:59

We also bought a phone/fax/answermachine about 15 years ago.

I can't remember the last time we used it to send a fax.

The ink hasn't dried out yet.... I know this, because every time we have a power outage, the stupid fax prints two pieces of paper, letting us know the time the power went off, and the time it came back on. :-( In cyclone season we have a heap of paper on the floor!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 Jul 2014 17:00

We have one as well, about the same vintage as Sharron's. We also use it for photocopying, because it is much quicker than the printer and so far, have had no problems with ink drying out.

It doesn't like running out of paper, but it doesn't stop the phone/answering machine from working, so we just ignore the annoying little message. :-| :-| :-|

jax

jax Report 29 Jul 2014 17:25

We also had a phone /fax 15 plus years ago....much prefer my phone that takes up no more room than a mug and can be moved from room to room.

I needed to send something to the dwp a short while ago.... I asked if I could email it...no she said but you can fax it :-S