General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A huge fire has ripped through Eastbourne Pier

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Jul 2014 17:21

It is believed the blaze broke out behind some wood panelling in the arcade building.

Sian Ellis, a hotel manager in the town, said the pier was an "absolute red, molten, mess of flame and smoke".

"We've just had another explosion there and it's very, very frightening and hugely saddening for the whole of the town," she said. About 60 firefighters are tackling the blaze.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-28571431

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Jul 2014 17:44

Sad, it seems to eventually happen to all our piers. I wonder if they check the wiring regularly?

Graham

Graham Report 30 Jul 2014 18:18

There was a fire on the Grand Pier at Weston super Mare a few years ago. I was amazed how quickly they rebuilt it.

Hopefully they'll get the pier in Eastbourne rebuilt as quick.

All too many of our piers are being left to rack and ruin.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Jul 2014 18:23

a huge part of my youth ... the soul of Eastbourne.
With all the rubbish things UKGov & Lottery funds are spent on a complete restoration of the pier does not seem too big an ask.

Desolate.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Jul 2014 20:09

Sad to see what has happened in Eastbourne.
Another part of south coast heritage lost.

Hastings just along the coast is still battling for funds to rebuild their pier, which was largely destroyed by arsonists in 2010.
Latest estimate I've heard for rebuild is £14 million.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 30 Jul 2014 20:28

Gwyn Hastings pier seems to be coming along slowly friend from when we were down there her son, who was Lissys friend works for company fixing it. Shame about Eastbourne that was one of the best along that little bit of coast.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Jul 2014 21:00

Aw how devastating. i used to spend my younger days there on holidays and at the weekends. loved it to bits. the pier and the penny slots were what me and my siblings looked forward to after a spell on the beach, a doughnut and an ice cream!

Not so long ago yes Hastings caught fire too and sadly the west pier of brighton fell into disrepair . Dont know it that is open anymore, dont think so.

Oh my what a sad day for eastbourne and so busy at this time of year. it will have caused a major disruption to the whole town centre Im sure...

Lets hope it can be fixed

Florence
in the hebrides :-( :-( :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Jul 2014 04:45

It's always a sad occasion when things like this happens, it has such a big knock on effect with people's jobs and the economy of the town which probably relies heavily on tourism.

I hope funds will be available from somewhere to repair the pier as soon as possible

Lizx

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Aug 2014 13:28

Eastbourne MP Stephen Lloyd holds the seat with a narrow majority over the Tories others nowhere. With an election 9 months away amazing how ez it is to find £ 2million to restore the pier.

In any case I don't much care why or where the money comes from Eastbourne pier deserves its place in the sun. Just hope they restore it and don't build some architects modernist ideas on piers.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 1 Aug 2014 14:57

With an election 9 months away, I for one will not be amazed, when a few million £'s here and a a few million £'s there, is found from the empty coffers - especially for things in marginal seats ;-)