General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone have day center experience

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Jul 2014 17:57

OH is increasingly getting very frail on his feet. He goes to a weekly chair based exercise class put on by the local council falls clinic

I have been told that AGE UK do run day center classes to that deal with folks who have dementia and have inquired.

They are coming out next week to assess him . Some times he says he wants to go and then sometimes he says no he doesnt want too.

I must admit to lecturing him that he needs to keep his brain cells ticking over and active as these are dying off if he sits at home doing zilch

Wonder if anyone has had a relative that outside activities helped

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 30 Jul 2014 18:57

Yes, Mum did well whenever she heard old songs on cd's......even when her speech and memory were really poor, she could sing all the right words in tune :)

She was going to go to a day centre but had to be admitted to respite following Dad's illness, she really perked up whenever music was played.

It's well worth giving it try, plus it will give you a little bit of much needed "you" time :)

Edit to add, tapping her feet and clapping along to the music also kept her supple.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Jul 2014 20:54

Thanks Kitty

I do think interaction on a social basis would help him

He seems to want to be in his own little world every day . He takes charge of the TV remotes and buggers up the programming by pushing any of the buttons when he can't get the TV to do what he wants . I find it very annoying to sort it out time and time again
I know I shouldn't get peed off with him as he doesn't know what he is doing but I do !!!

He does enjoy his weekly exercise class and talking to the other folks there some of whom have similar problems to him so I am trying to encourage him to broaden his world

I do feel contracting yourself to being indoors and only to the TV really isn't a good way to be

Kay????

Kay???? Report 30 Jul 2014 21:25

He needs as much stimulation with people as possible Shilrey and the TV isnt giving him that and as much as it annoys you with the remote that is how its going to be or worse as he will get frustrated with it and cause a ruck.

Perhaps if he goes to Age UK you can go with him the first time to see if you think its meeting his needs.......they have ways of encouraging the best from the people who go........plus it will help give you 5 mins to yourself.........

Why not take him out for a drive and take a sandwich and a drink,even just for an hour in the afternoon can make all the difference to him,

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 30 Jul 2014 21:58

It annoys me immensely when able bodied and minded people sit about doing nothing. They should spend some time with those who cannot do or think for themselves......When I hear the stories of those with dementia.....it nearly always seems to be those who otherwise seemed full of life. :-(