General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

E books

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 2 Aug 2014 13:38

Because of the difficulty getting hold of books in English, I bought myself a tablet.
I have about 10 unread novels on it, but for some reason I can´t wean myself off "proper" books.
Anyone else find the same thing?

Graham

Graham Report 2 Aug 2014 13:42

Tablets are great if you've got a headache; but not much use for anything else. ;-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Aug 2014 14:30

OH has Kindle on his new mobile phone and has taken to it with great enthusiasm.

I had a go on it and gave up!! It's too small, too fiddly (only 2 paragraphs on a "page") and if you wiggle it by mistake you lose the place. :-| :-| :-|

Give me a proper book any time.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Aug 2014 14:45

But an e reader has a larger page than that Andys Mum. 2 paragraphs a page in small font is no good. I love my kindle but do also read books. When I got the kindle I still had about four shelves of unread paperback (which have been added to since then). I usually read at least two books on my kindle a month then a couple of paperback.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 2 Aug 2014 14:59

I have tried both, but love the look, smell and feel of real books, turning the page or flipping back and forth in a real book is so much easier than the electronic way :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Aug 2014 15:04

Yes Kitty, I do have two issues with using the Kindle. It is, as you say, difficult if you want to flick back and check something. The other thing is to do with remembering what I have read. If I see a paperback that looks good I can't remember if I maybe read it a while back. (I am awful at remembering books I have read). If I read it as a book I am more likely to remember because of the cover. I recently got a partway through a book thinking I am sure I have read this. Looked on the pc to my master list of books read and sure enough I had read it on the Kindle.

Solrosen

Solrosen Report 2 Aug 2014 15:13

I like the possibility to have several books to choose from if I'm away from home - so I can take 2 or 22 on my Kindle, the weight is the same!
Would agree with others though, that you can't beat the feel and smell of a book.
:-)

wisechild

wisechild Report 2 Aug 2014 15:45

I mainly read in bed, but wherever I read, I invariably fall asleep & the book drops to the floor.
Disatrous & expensive with a tablet.Don´t think I´ll ever give up on real books, although I can see the obvious advantages of storing them on a tablet.
When I lived alone after the kids left home, I was lucky enough to be within walking distance of Birmingham Central Library & spent hours in there every Saturday, staggering home with yet another armful of books to keep me going through the week
Those were the days. ;-) ;-) ;-)

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 2 Aug 2014 19:08

i think there is nothing like the feel and smell of a lovely new book, i treat the ones i like best like old friends and often visit them again.

I have published 2 of my own books(poetry) but neither are on Kindle..don't ask me why.. i haven't published them to make a fortune , i just love the idea that readers will pick my books up now and then and read a few pages...

i can't grip a Kindle myself as my hands are disabled.

:-) :-) :-)

Kense

Kense Report 2 Aug 2014 19:37

I have fallen asleep reading my Kindle dropping it on the floor several times and it has always survived,

Going back and forward with a Kindle is also easy if you set bookmarks or note the page number.

Other advantages are: having instant dictionary definitions of words, search facility and XRay feature make ebook reading so much more of a pleasure.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 2 Aug 2014 21:34

My Kindle has also survived several falls from the bed lol.

It is lighter and less bulky than books so when my wrists and thumb joints are playing up (arthritis) it is much less painful when I read in bed.

Ann, I have a 'read' folder on my Kindle where I file them after reading. Will have to go through and delete some soon I think.

Solrosen

Solrosen Report 2 Aug 2014 21:55

Lyndi

Check how many books your particular Kindle can hold - I think its at least a couple of thousand on mine.
I made folders for read and unread books (didn't need the unread as they remain on the first page) and at first made individual folders for favourite authors. Not a bad idea but if you just choose to file your books in a 'read' file, in author name order - it does the same job, though it takes extra time to get to the end of the alphabet. :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 Aug 2014 12:32

I would be lost without my Kindle and Kindle App on my tablet.

I still buy books, but now only first editions hardbacks of my favourite authors and London History/Reference books.

For fiction I now use my Kindle all the time.

I always said Oh No I could never be without a book in my hand. But now, I can not imagine going back to bulky books.

LOVE MY KINDLE <3 ;-) <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Aug 2014 14:38

Lyndi yes I have that but I was in a shop without my kindle when I saw and bought the book. And didn't think to check before I started reading it.

Kense yes book marks are ok but you don't always know when you want to go back to check something.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Aug 2014 14:55

This thread reminded me that I needed to charge my kindle. I haven't used it for a couple of weeks as I have been catching up with paperbacks on my shelves.

Plugged the charger in and no light at all on the kindle, not orange or green. Any ideas? :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Aug 2014 16:59

Sorted, daughter reminded me of what to do. You hold the 'on' switch across for 30 seconds until the orange light comes on, then it will charge.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Aug 2014 17:08

Have you sorted it out yet?

After reading some of the queries about this malfunction, it seems that holding the start button for 30 seconds seems to reset it. On some versions there is a small hole near the on button that you can poke a pencil tip into - that seems to do the same.

You could also try looking for an answer on http://www.kindle.com/support

ADDED - Oops! Double posted! Good to hear that you've got it sorted :D

I wouldn't be without mine now, especially as there are so many cheap or free downloads to be had. In addition, its possible to increase the size of the font which is something you can't do with a printed book!

Having said that, there is nothing like the smell and feel of a new book. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Aug 2014 17:28

Thanks Det didn't know that about the hole I have one of those. Will try that next time. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Aug 2014 17:31

Its happened to me once. Big panic! However, plugging it in to recharge in case that was the problem ( I knew it had a charge, but OH didn't believe me) sorted it out.