General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inventions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 2 Aug 2014 15:35

What do you think is the best invention in recent years?

Most inventions these days are just variations on a theme: smart phones, smart tvs, stupid computers, bagless vacuum cleaners, etc. Can you think of any recent invention that was totally different and had a positive impact on peoples lives?

Here is Time Magazines list of the 25 best inventions of 2013:

http://techland.time.com/2013/11/14/the-25-best-inventions-of-the-year-2013/slide/all/

Most of them are pretty pointless. I did quite like the gravity light. I'm not sure if cloning extinct frogs can really be classed as an invention though.. :-S

What would you like to see in the near future? Is there one thing you can think of that you wish there was a machine capable of doing?

Solrosen

Solrosen Report 2 Aug 2014 16:23

Yes..... automatic iron and ironing board :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Aug 2014 17:06

wind up torches - saves on batteries

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 Aug 2014 12:38

And wind up radios - great at they also have a small solar panel. Always handy in case of a power cut etc.

And my other is my Kindle, fully powered up, loads of books to read at the flick of a switch.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Aug 2014 14:06

anything powered by solar

We have solar panels on our roof and we also have lights outside... in the garden and on the gutters.

:-D

Kindle also gets my vote.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Aug 2014 14:14

Mine is much more down-to-earth.

Washing up liquid!

Anyone remember trying to get greasy dishes clean before it was available? :-( :-(

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Aug 2014 15:23

Not too recent but soft toilet rolls. I still remember torn up squares of newspaper on a hook in the outside toilet - squares of magazine pages if you were lucky!!

Kath. x

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 3 Aug 2014 15:41

Karcher steam window cleaner, turns a core into a Doddle

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Aug 2014 16:36

As Graham said, most of these are not really inventions but rather developments.

True inventions are something that could not have not been anticipated yet truly changed the world. A good example would be the transistor, which evolved into the microchip and without which our lives would be rather different.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Aug 2014 17:28

Non stick saucepans - a spin off from the race to the moon. The same could be said about Biros. :-)

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 3 Aug 2014 18:24

titanium articial joints for hands... mine have changed my life.. :-D

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Aug 2014 22:29

The pedantic amongst us probably wouldn't describe the internet as an "invention" but without it we wouldn't be able to have debates like this :-)