General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don´t laugh but...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Aug 2014 14:51

Has anybody ever heard of an agoraphobic dog ?
Because of the loud noises and fireworks that happen in summer I have been finding it harder and harder to get Minx out of the house in the evenings. The past few days when she has gone out she has been tail tucked and not happy. Monday we went out in the car to get away from the nightly bangs after a major firework display the night before and whilst we were eating she curled up by my chair and quivered.
Yesterday she refused to go out for her evening walk and today I can´t even get her out of the door, as soon as she sees her harness she turns and runs for her hide spots.

I joked to OH that I thought she was agoraphobic and his reply was ..well she has everything else why not. :-S
It has made me wonder though if it´s possible, after all she has epilepsy so yes why not ?

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Aug 2014 15:02

Your Vet can recommend tablets to keep your dog calm during fireworks & such like.

Animals deserve care & should not be left to 'quiver' in the manner you describe.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Aug 2014 15:54

Sorry Dermot, I normally agree with you but I know of no dog that receives more care than Minx, Unless of course it is Mini.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Aug 2014 15:55

I wonder if the fear of the fireworks Uzzi makes her feel like she feels before she fits and that is why she quivers.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Aug 2014 16:24

A friends dog did refuse to go out into their back garden. May be it smelt the territorial markings of their previous pet? As far as I'm aware, it's fine now.

Not quite the same thing, but just an example of a rescue dog's agoraphobia. .

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Aug 2014 16:29

Dermot here in Spain fireworks in summer is a way of life and I am not zonking my dog out every day just incase, don´t think my vet would allow it either. I also finished my meal and our evening earlier than thought so I could get Minx home.

Ann thank you <3 they are spoilt a tad aren´t they. ;-). I really wish I knew what went on in her head. She is now waiting for T to get home so hopefully she will go out with the 2 of us. I don´t know about the feeling before a fit as most epileptics (human) can´t remember just before a fit and Minx is usually asleep before hers. So far (fingers crossed) loud noises have never brought on a fit as she is too agitated to sleep ..same as she has never fitted when out as her brain is on aware mode.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Aug 2014 16:33

Det thanks for your imput which is very valid as it proves agoraphobia in dogs. Minx has lived here now tho´for over a year and I have had her for nearly 9yrs now

Ann I will say the quivering whilst out and okayish is a new thing to this year :-S

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 6 Aug 2014 16:34

Do have a word with vet - we used to have tranquillisers for dog. Unfortunately you do not have advance warning of thunder.

I was so thankful when he lost his hearing at age 12 - and there he was standing on the patio watching all these lovely lights in the sky.

There is also a 'plug-in' device apparently.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Aug 2014 16:36

Uzzi I remember being out and eating with her and she was more interested in what other tables were dropping than quivering so maybe there have been a few too many bangs recently for her. <3 <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Aug 2014 16:42

Uzzi, not the same I know but our last dog Paddy, was a rescued dog, and hated loud noise of any kind, he would not go out if there was anyone shooting ( rabbits :-( ) so it was a case of taking him out after HE was sure the noise had stopped. He wouldn't go out when church bells rang on Sunday either ...he wasn't 'normal' in lots of ways, which was why he was so much one of the family lol! :-D

brightonbellex

brightonbellex Report 6 Aug 2014 16:57

there is a t shirt sort of vest you can get called a 'thunder shirt' that has had great success with very anxious dogs. I've read some lovely stories of really good results. Also there are plug in calmers you can get which are not tranquilising and humans can't smell. I know these work well from people i know. x

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Aug 2014 16:58

lol Rose I know that feeling with my two !

Ann on Monday you could have and I did offer her food after the meal and she refused it. She visited no other tables even though other tables were interested in her. (Mini did mind she got all the treats ). We have had a week of bangs every night 3 bangs at 8.30pm then another at 7.30 pm then Sunday was a nightmare as there was noise all day until the display at 10pm hence the reason I took her out of the region before the bangs started on Monday.

Bless her she still has a month to go before summer ends and I am at a loss as she now spooks if a car door slams.

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 6 Aug 2014 17:34

How about putiing the radio or tv on and turnining it up so the dog cant hear the fireworks. this is what I do. Maybe too late now to try this if she is that frightened.

Anne

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Aug 2014 18:27

brighton belle I have seen the thunder shirts and read equally good and bad reviews as Minx isn´t a lover of her wet coat I am not sure how she will react plus in summer it will be far to hot for her to wear.
I do have the plug in calmers aswell as the spray but she now appears to be immune to this, mind it doesn´t help that our doors and windows are open all day. Her fave hidey place the airing cupboard doesn´t have any windows in the room and does have the plug in. BUT if she hears a bang in that room she will move

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Aug 2014 18:47

......my dog would not go out walking at least a week before and after the 5thNov with the relentless banging of fireworks,,,,,,no amount of loud music,sooth talking would calm her and she shook for a fortnight,,,its a horrible time for dogs and glad they have banned the awful one that went like canons,wish they would ban the lot.......I sympathise with you Ussi as there is nothing you can do to calm them......

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Aug 2014 20:48

Kay the one´s we get here are like cannons and can be let off at any time sadly it´s not just around November it´s any fiesta and the Spanish love a fiesta lol

Another Ann in Glos I can´t put the TV on as I don´t know when it will happen, I do, do that in the winter mind.
I actually got her out when OH got home from work but only because she was dressed, out the door and on her way before she realised what was happening. We stopped for a coffee on the corner and she was not happy with it. :-S,

I can only hope that after the summer she calms down again :-(

trevor

trevor Report 6 Aug 2014 22:38

my vet told me sometimes epilepsy in dogs are actually panic attacks

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Aug 2014 22:39

my son's new pups are only agarophobic if it's raining!!!

trevor

trevor Report 6 Aug 2014 22:43

pups are fun thoughx