General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you keep chickens-why not send them on holiday

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 10 Aug 2014 08:42

Savvy entrepreneurs are hatching lucrative new businesses by providing handy holiday retreats...for CHICKENS :-D

With increasing numbers of people keeping poultry in their gardens, the need for holiday care for chickens has grown.

Like kennels and catteries, chicken retreats – as they are known – are springing up across Scotland and northern England.

http://www.sundaypost.com/that-s-life/real-life-stories/poultry-towers-holiday-retreats-for-chickens-1.516112

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Aug 2014 10:50

are you yolking?

:-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Aug 2014 11:03

My holidays are now sorted for the next few years - chicken sitting ??

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Aug 2014 11:14

My son has 4 Buff Orpington chickens in his back garden, so that would cost him £28 per week to board them out.

He pays a young lad who is a friend of my grandson £10 to come and check their food and water and make sure they are locked up up at night.

I don't think he would pay £28.

Kath. x

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Aug 2014 11:37

Farmers who rear geese know full well that they are one of the best 'guard-dogs' in any farm yard.

When disturbed, they create such a rowdy rumpus with squawking all round. No sneaky fox would dare approach the geese's domain looking for a mouthful of poultry supper.

For those of us with aching necks, you might like to know that rubbing on the affected area with goose fat is a well-known cure to relieve such pains. Albert of Steptoe & Son recommend this cure to his son Harold in one episode broadcast many years ago. You cannot argue with that now, can you?

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 10 Aug 2014 13:05

My gran kept chickens, when the last of them ended up as Sunday dinner - no one was hungry :-(