General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Photographs on Anc*stry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Aug 2014 10:40

Every now and then I google for family names........I usually find something about OH & golf, others for their sporting achievements.... not so much for me.

I googled my brother's name.... got "Images"....... I didn't see my brother's photograph, but I found my grandparents! When I clicked on the image, I was taken to Anc*stry.

I'm not a member of Anc*stry, neither is my brother.......... and I have NO idea who would have a photograph of my grandparents to post on Anc*stry.

I have the same photograph in my living room :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Aug 2014 11:03

Photos do get passed around - its quite amazing!

I have a large US branch dating back to 1840 when they migrated. One of the descendents shared photos many of which were taken in the 1880's.

On contacting a Nottinghamshire man who listed one of the marry ins, it transpired that he had exactly the same photo of the mutual relative - a copy must have been shipped over to her family and has survived :-D

Do you want to give search criteria so that Ancestry members can have a look for you?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Aug 2014 11:12

Be happy. This happened to me so Itraced the photo and ended up meeting my granny's great niece and with lots more photos, letters from the great war and s on.

Island

Island Report 11 Aug 2014 11:17

It's ok to post 'Ancestry' :-)

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Aug 2014 11:20

Put a tree on Ancestry and all the photos for your entries are available for free.
Until November you can find other people researching your family at Mundia.com
Edit
Now end of September.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Aug 2014 11:56

I clicked on the photograph, but got no information other than it was on Anc*stry!

I believe the photo was taken in the mid 1940s...... my Mother thought my grandparents had the photograph taken to send to their son (my father) when he was in hospital during the war.

I'm in touch with many distant cousins all over the world who have given me photographs, many of my rellies emigrated to the USA, Canada, Australia & NZ.

Can I search Mundia.com without being a member?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Aug 2014 12:16

You might have to register for Mundia, but its free. Give it a go with out registering first!

http://www.mundia.com/ca/

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Aug 2014 12:29

Thanks Det

I tried www.mundia.com and got a big blurb about them merging with Ancestry

:-)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 11 Aug 2014 12:29

I subscribe to Ancestry and every now and again have a blitz on some of my branches I haven't looked at for a while. I'm always pleased to encounter another member's public tree, which may often provide more detail, or another child/sibling, or perhaps a location. Alas no photos as yet but I live in hope... :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Aug 2014 12:42

I found my grandfather listed... info posted by a Vanessa.

My grandfather was born in 1892, she has him living in Govan (Lanarkshire) in 1891 (before he was born!) and Renfrew in 1901. I don't think he ever lived in Govan, his father was a gamekeeper at The Marlage near Lesmahagow (until the chimney was hit by lightning and the house was demolished!). I have census records for 1901 & 1911, and he definitely did not live in Renfrew!

I'll try contacting Vanessa. Wish me luck :-)

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 11 Aug 2014 18:04

Thanks for that one Scozz mi duck . xx
I just found a dozen relative`s piccies on there. plus other info too.
Starting with my 3x g/grandfather Samuel Hebb 1785- 1851... (dont know where they got the death date from I`m sure.)

They went across the pond to set up home in the USA, and sailed on the "Ferozepine" out of Liverpool in 1851.

These are they, small they may be, but interesting to see all the same.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/8127705

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 11 Aug 2014 18:05

I have found 2 people have taken copies of some of my photos, great but no way can I get in touch with them?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Aug 2014 19:23

Bit late now but ...

1. Ancestry allows people to save public photos to their own tree with a few clicks but it maintains the original link and you get an info message.
2. There is lots of software which let's you write a hidden signature into the image
3. It is best to keep high quality photos where you can keep some control eg Flikr.

I don't use GRU's image store.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Aug 2014 19:41

I don't post family photos on the internet, except here on GR as my avatar.

There is an American lady, a married-in to my father's line ................ she considers herself the guardian of all information on the family.

It is interesting to check her tree on ancestry ............. it's private, but I have access.

She has acquired photos from everywhere ............... usually does ask .....

........ but I've seen photos of aunts and uncles on there that I've never seen before, taken at family weddings that I and my parents must also have attended.

I was in contact with one of my cousins on FB, and was telling him things that he didn't know (his father had cut off from his siblings, aunts, uncles, etc back in the 1950s) .............. but stopped after this lady started cross-questioning me.

I can't explain why I feel uncomfortable about passing on information that I have to her ............. but I do!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Aug 2014 00:31

I haven't posted any of my family pics on the internet.

I don't know of any "cousin" named Vanessa!

I'm really curious now....... who is Vanessa, is she related, and how did she get a photo of my grandparents?

:-S

Huia

Huia Report 12 Aug 2014 08:12

Somebody completely unrelated to me copied all my photos from Ancestry. I hate the yankee idiots who are name and photo grabbers.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Aug 2014 08:54

My gg grandmother's brother emigrated to the US, settled in Iowa.

I'm in touch with cousins there, who have sent me lots of photographs..... which were also given to the local Historical Society in Iowa.

Half the restaurants in town have these photographs on display! It must be strange to have your gg grandad watching you when you're having dinner.

:-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Aug 2014 11:41

As said photos get around in families. Also photos were given to friends as gifts as well, as keepsakes. How many of us have photos of family friends of parents etc., and have no idea who these people are?

I had a much treasured photo of my g/grandmother, with a dedication written to her son (my granddad).

Following the deaths of his last 2 sisters, I now have 3 copies of this 'treasure' !!!!!

I imagine that a couple of my much older cousing probably have the same photo they got from their parents!

On Ancestry (you can mention as long as you are not promoting the site) you can have a Public or Private tree. The Public trees are those that appear on the Mundia site. But as Mundia is being closed down some time soon, then the only way people will be able to see the Public trees will be to join Ancestry.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 12 Aug 2014 11:53

i think some times photos also need dubble checking just as much as names

i have a photo of my great uncal past on to me and was told this is
George

as soon as i see the photo i new strait away this was not George
but James

i email the person back to tell them that this is James and not George
but would they have it no they would not

i tried to even tell them that im 100% no this to be James as he is still living
and he only lives the other side of the main road to me

i also told them that i played with James children when i was a kid i also
still see the younger daughter he had late in life

strange thing was this person also did not no that James had a twin sister

this is all on my mum side and i was very close to my great aunts and uncals
and there children

bottom line is that they have a photo on there tree attach to the wrong person