General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

401-Unauthorised message

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeff

Jeff Report 14 Aug 2014 19:25

Hi, When trying to view a members tree, I am getting the following message:
SERVER ERROR
401 Unauthorised: access denied due to invalid credentials.

I have permission to view tree and I can view other trees.
Any help appreciated.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Aug 2014 20:25

Picking ideas up from others.

Try logging out and back in to see if that works.

If not, repeat the action then copy and paste the servor error message into an email to
[email protected]

Tell them exactly what you were trying to do.

Peter

Peter Report 26 Apr 2016 21:00

I've got the same issue Jeff had. Any feedback as to what the solution was please? Logging in and out does not seem to work.

Thanks
Peter

Kense

Kense Report 26 Apr 2016 22:58

I tried a number of trees that I have access to but did not get that error for any of them.

I did, however, find that a few trees did not display a tree but instead gave me a box to add a peson to the blank tree. I could not easily revert to my own tree, although I soon found that refreshing worked.

I presume this is where the contact has deleted their account.

For the 401 error problem, is it where there is a new contact or is it an old contact that you are revisiiting?

Have you checked the allow access state in your contacts list?

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 27 Apr 2016 11:57

I recently had a message from someone asking for access re a common ancestor {which she named} I gave access and sent a reply,when after 4 weeks the message I sent had not been opened I closed the access - and got another e-mail asking for access, when I asked exactly how she was related to the person she replied "not sure but it is very distant" :-|

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Apr 2016 12:16

401 errors are due to ms IIS web server configuration issues.
Contact GR Support - they will need to know yr OS and version, browser and version plus the tree which you are trying to access.