General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surprising them all.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Aug 2014 10:45

Because the people who produce the parish magazine fell out with one of their editorial team she and her husband are running an alternative parish magazine which is free to the recipients.

I have been contributing a bit most months because they have encouraged people to write about life in the village and I grew up here.

Several people have come up to me, usually at the parish lunch, to talk to me about it.

Generally, I think, it is not to congratulate me but to find out who I am covering for or where it was plagiarized from.

I think they are so amazed to find that I really can read and write at all that they want to
know if it is real.

It usually happens that, when we cook the parish lunch, I make it while OH is out doing whatever he does when he is out, and he takes it down there to heat up and serve on the day whilst wearing his whites.

Then people tell me what an excellent cook he is.

A set of chef's whites will fool anybody!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Aug 2014 11:22

Smoke and mirrors :-D

As a long term or joint venture with other long term residents it might be worth the PC collecting your stories and printing up a booklet. Although it may not sell many copies, or cost a lot to purchase, it could raise funds for a local cause.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Aug 2014 11:33

There are a lot of other articles in the magazine but they are all written by people who look like they can read and write. Just as OH can look the part.

I am not very keen to be one of those people who have their attempts put in a little book really. Can't think what prompted me to put anything in the magazine.

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Aug 2014 11:35

Sharron - well done with your parish magazine contributions.

You might consider joining our small friendly group of GR Members who compose & exchange amongst ourselves by E-Mail bits & pieces as the enthusiasm hits us.

Have a look at ‘Writers Group thread 2013’ on Hobbies & Crafts thread for further info.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Aug 2014 11:59

Do consider it Sharron, not as a vanity publishing project, but to record your memories for posterity.

A friend is clearing out her father's house and has given me a pile of things to pass on to the village archivist. He'll have to wait for one book - the retrospective memories of one man 1912-1973.

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about Charles Mansbridge Ellerby
Name: Charles Mansbridge Ellerby
Birth Date: 21 Jun 1900
Date of Registration: Jan 2002
Age at Death: 101
Registration district: Gravesend
Inferred County: Kent
Register Number: T30C
District and Subdistrict: 5621C
Entry Number: 269

As he can be found on the 1911 in Bow, his family must have moved to the village shortly after that.

Unless you write them down, your stories and descriptions will be lost to future generations!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Aug 2014 12:47

Sharron we would love to see your musings in the writing group. Do think about joining us. None of us look like we can write either I'm sure. Maybe we can't, maybe we just think we can. :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 22 Aug 2014 13:05

Sharron - from the way you wrote your tales about Fred - you would be a valuable contributor to any magazine or writers thread :-)