General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trying to find out why grand father was orphened

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 28 Aug 2014 18:55

Hi I am dave , Hughes is the most 4th popular surname in merseyside, , so struggled a bit to find my family,. The question I would like to ask is ,do you have to go to the registery office with a number of possible codes to from birth and marriges,Pay to have copies in the hope that you find a match to what you are looking for, is`nt £3 to £5 for each one, I have tried to contact hot matches, and only got 1 reply who has got most of the info he requires, so is not a subscriber anymore, and have sent arequest to see his tree. This is geetting to a bit of a dead end, so would love some suggestions please, chheers dave

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Aug 2014 19:03

GRO refs won't be on any use at local records offices,

Have you found the family on any census .you haven't given any idea of time span

jax

jax Report 28 Aug 2014 19:41

Certs cost £9.25 each from GRO

http://www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/certificates/default.asp

David

David Report 28 Aug 2014 20:47

thanks for your replies, yes i found family on 1881, 1891 1891 and 1901 census, have been reaserching my mothers side of the family aswell so I am a bit confused as to which census of the family I have found and to how I will document it, but have fouund a way as to draw a mini tree, so then I will know the revalamce, but most of the documents I have ,are on the back of junk mailso I might have to do another search for the 1911 census for when he wAS THREE AND TAKE IT FROM THERE, THANKS FOR YOU HELP and then search for his parents death cheers

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Aug 2014 21:03

If you give your grandfather's name (and the names of his parents if you know them) and an idea of when and where your grandfather was born someone will try to help you.

This might be better on the "Find Ancestors" board.

Kath. x

David

David Report 28 Aug 2014 21:48

thanks there kath