General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UK terror level raised from substantial to severe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 29 Aug 2014 15:10

The UK's terror threat level is being raised from "substantial" to "severe" in response to conflicts in Iraq and Syria.

The new alert level means an attack on the UK is "highly likely", although Mrs May said there was no intelligence to suggest an attack was "imminent".

In a statement the home Secretary Theresa May said "The increase in the threat level is related to developments in Syria and Iraq where terrorist groups are planning attacks against the West.

She also said "Some of those plots are likely to involve foreign fighters who have travelled there from the UK and Europe to take part in those conflicts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28986271

If you are out and about please be vigil and stay safe!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Aug 2014 15:42

quite frightening isn't it - and the majority of the police are in my area for the NATO summit next week :-S

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 29 Aug 2014 15:56

AnnCardiff <3 With the announcement today that the UK's level for a terrorist attack being raised from substantial to severe in response to what is happening at the moment in Iraq and Syria, and although it is being said that there is no intelligence relating to any specific threat, I would think that the Nato Summit in Newport next week - will be at the top of the security agencies list of possible targets :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2014 17:07

Don't stop what you would normally do, otherwise the terrorists have won.

Before children, I used to work in the West End of London during the IRA campaign. If something went off in Oxford Street, the next day was an ideal day to visit!!

My Aunt used to travel by Underground to St James' Park for their Sunday band concerts. After the bombing, they refused to do that any more. Such a shame.