General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused Again

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Aug 2014 23:05

While we are financially embarrassed I don't go shopping because I get seduced by cabbages we don't need and those jars of big gherkins in Lidl so OH and Fred's wonderful mate bring in the essentials.

Fred's mate gets me some veg from the market and I keep a tab of what I need to pay him soon I hope. Last week he brought some shallots for pickling.

Wanting to have some more I asked him how much they were. To my absolute amazement he said they were three pounds a pound. He must have brought me at least two pounds already and I couldn't imagine be able to afford any more at that price.

Well, last night he asked if I would like another six pounds of shallots to pickle.

Shocked, I explained o him that they were aa ridiculous price and I wasn't spending eighteen pounds for some pickled onions when they were so cheap in the shops.

Don't you just hate that tone people use when they are explaining something very, very simple to you.

Yes, for the sum of one pound the stallholder will supply you with three pounds of shallots.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 30 Aug 2014 23:15

confused? you WILL be.........easily done......

why didn't he say three pounds for a quid?
LOL Bob

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Aug 2014 23:17

Where's the fun in that?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Aug 2014 00:03

Oh look - a great bustard!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

No really - it's just the wonder of the English language :-D :-D :-D

Hopefully, you can sell him some at £1 a jar :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Aug 2014 00:06

What, after I have paid three pounds a pound for them?!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Aug 2014 00:53

Sorry......have I misunderstood?
I felt you were saying that the price was three pounds (£s) for a pound (lb) of shallots,
when really it was three (lbs) for a pound(£)

or was it the other way around?
Bob

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Aug 2014 00:58

I'm also confused, Bob. If it was 3lb for £1 - selling him a jar at £1 would give you at least 50p profit.

Or were they £1 for 3lb, and he was charging 1lb for £3?

In which case, I repeat - see the flying bustard!!!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Aug 2014 06:44

It's Fred helping his pal confuse you, just so you don't get complacent Sharron lol

Hope you can get some more shallots at the right price so you can pickle them and get a good stock in the pantry.

Are the blackberries getting ripe yet round your way? You will have to go and help Fred's pal this year if you want any, can't send the poor chap on his own.

Good luck with the scavenging and ekeing out.

Lizxx

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 31 Aug 2014 09:11

Sharron <3 you've got this old geezer :-S now :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 Aug 2014 09:27

Sharron,

Nice one,.

Yep he told you right,,,,,,,,

3 pounds for a pound,,,,,,,,,, ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D.

I understood it perfectly, as he speaks my lanuage,,,,,,, ;-) :-D.

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Aug 2014 09:37

Now you all can see how I felt!

You can see Fred is not here this year. The hedges are positively heaving with blackberries without him to pick them.

His mate is picking some this year and he says it does feel strange to be doing it alone. People knew them when they were out and would stop to speak or toot at them and his mate would show them how many they had picked.

Children don't go out blackberrying any more do they?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Aug 2014 09:42

;-) :-S :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2014 13:24

Six pounds of shallots brining.

I hope they are not going to cost me eighteen pounds!