General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer screen size

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 2 Sep 2014 20:08

I am looking to replace my small 4:3 flat screen monitor. The lions share of my computer use is on family history websites e.g. genes, ancestry, familysearch. I'm looking for views/advice on the best screen size & configuration for viewing the content of such sites. Also comments on whether there is any appreciable difference caused by choice of browser.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 2 Sep 2014 21:05

Bigger the better, size does matter ;-)
I like Firefox IE seemed more prone to problems, but best just t download a selection and see how you go you can have several browsers installed and just open them when you want. I can quite happily open IE and Firefox and switch between them no problem.

Julie

Julie Report 2 Sep 2014 21:22

Thanks for the reply Mayfield

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Sep 2014 00:13

Chances are that the graphics engine on yr machine may not have the poke to drive the latest 24-30in screens many of which do not have a VGA adapter. The most cost effective ug would be 19in 5:4 format 1280x1024 and 16:9 1440*900. Both these sizes are obsolete retail but ez to pick up in good condition used for around £20 on eBay etc. Avoid budget brands. Curry's et al have new 20 and 22 in screens for £100 - 150 which are usable small office / home but not professional level. Avoid high gloss looks good but sunlight makes the image vanish! Viewsonic are good performers.

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 3 Sep 2014 02:27

Sky's the Limit Julie, Explorer or Firefox,win7,8 or XP.

Mayfield, Good Advice,
Dont complicate it.

Bill

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Sep 2014 09:28

u RU a 50 in screen then Bill ? ;-)

BillinOz

BillinOz Report 3 Sep 2014 09:51

Yep Rollo 50 and 35 Baun ;-) ;-)

Julie

Julie Report 3 Sep 2014 22:15

Thanks for the advice Rollo, perhaps I should add that the current screen is older than
the rest of the system.