General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This morning at about 11am

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Sep 2014 03:13

A man was badly bitten by a shark at a local beach, and died.

That was just over an hour ago.

Horrible, and terrifying for the poor man. I don't know yet what happened, how far from shore he was.

It's only early spring, what on earth will summer be like.

Scary.

<3 <3 <3 <3 RIP

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2014 04:44

oh dear ................

there have been shark attacks on US beaches as well, where they don't normally expect them

A great white shark attacked 2 kayakers last week off the coast of Massachusetts only 3 or 4 days ago ........ it bit right through one of the kayaks. Luckily the women were rescued safely, and were not harmed.

I wonder if sharks are changing their habits??

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2014 04:46

I've just been reading about the attack near you. Seems the man might have been a local.

I didn't realise you lived so close to a rellie of mine :-)

and NO, I will not ask if you know them ............. 'cos you won't! :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Sep 2014 05:19

Sylvia ~ We're about 10 minutes drive north, rarely go there because it's a touristy place.

The man was a local.

The shark is still around, the news helicopter took photographs.

What they call the "Main Beach" is closed, but nothing has been said about our area. I hope our local surfers & swimmers know about it! A friend of ours, retired local vet in his late 60s, goes surfing almost every day. I hope everyone has taken notice of all the helicopters.

My avatar...... on the left of the pic is almost where we live...... on the top (where the beach curves around) is near where the shark attacked.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2014 05:25

my rellie doesn't, or didn't, live in the town either ................. but outside.

I'm sure that people will take note of the helicopters, and not go in the water!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Sep 2014 06:33

His wife was on the beach when it happened.

Poor woman.

I've seen a few small boats out on the ocean this afternoon....... I think they should be in bigger boats!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Sep 2014 06:53

How tragic, and how awful for the man's wife to witness the attack.

May the man who died rest in peace and may his wife find comfort knowing he was doing what he liked to almost the last.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Sep 2014 07:00

DH often goes for a swim....... I paddle, because the surf is too rough & strong for me, plus there is a strong rip just beyond the sand bar.

I'll make sure he has a pass to use the club's pool, the thought of him swimming in the ocean makes my blood run cold.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Sep 2014 07:30

The oceans belong to the sharks. It is sad to see these marvellous creatures murdered for fun, for Asian medicine and the imaginary crime of attacking idiotic people swimming surfing in a place where they have no business or ability.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Sep 2014 07:34

You've never gone swimming in the ocean?

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 9 Sep 2014 08:15

Just heard this on the news.
My grandson ,who lives in Melbourne is going on a school trip today,probably already there,to a surfing school in Tathra for a few days.
I know Byron Bay is in the North of NSW and he's going South,,but it's still the same ocean.
So sad for the family of the poor chap who died.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Sep 2014 08:23

Very sad Brenda.

He was a local man, news says in his 40s, but he was early 50s.

I'm sure he's been swimming at that beach most of his life.

Comments like "the oceans belong to the sharks" are totally inappropriate. You have more chance of being run over by a bus than bitten by a shark!

I'm sure your grandson will have a great trip.... the weather here is much more pleasant than Melbourne

:-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Sep 2014 08:41

It looks like you don't have more chance of being run over by a bus at the moment.

Just like wasps not stinging for the sake of it, sharks don't attack for no reason.

To have so many uncharacteristic shark attacks in one year would make me think they were hungry and that there was a problem in the food chain.

This is a huge worry.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 9 Sep 2014 10:03

According to my other son in Sydney....know it's further south than you...but it's hardly stopped raining there for the last 4 weeks...while it's been nice and springlike in Melbourne.

Swings and roundabouts?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Sep 2014 12:35

The latest.... the man was originally from UK, has lived in Australia for some time. He was only 50. His name has been released, but it's inappropriate to post it here.

Brenda...... Melbourne got hit this afternoon, flash floods! We've had a reasonable day, a bit cloudy, but fine...... tomorrow should be clear blue skies & about 22C.