General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fifty Years Ago Today

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Sep 2014 18:13

I started at grammar school.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2014 20:19

:-D :-D

50 years ago last May ..................... I graduated from university

and then had to try to find a job

I was out of work for 6 months :-(

the kind of job I wanted to do (genetics counselling) was so new that there were no jobs that did not require a medical degree as well as one in genetics

I had to change my mind about what I did and did not want to do .......................

and started work as a school teacher 50 years ago next January :-)

I never wanted to teach ................. but I've since been told that I was good at it

................. getting an message through Friends Reunited from an ex-student about 10 years ago saying that I was the best teacher she'd ever had was a real uplifting moment for me :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Sep 2014 20:25

67 years ago I started grammar school and hated it from day one right through to the end

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Sep 2014 21:15

47 years ago, I too started Grammar School :-D

18 years ago (plus a month) I started University :-D

Neither led to a marvellous career though :-|

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 9 Sep 2014 21:38

50 yrs ago l'd left school for one yr....yipppppeeeeee

first job was in a factory, l had to catch 12 paper bags that shot out of a machine, they came out so quick l could'nt catch one....lol

jude

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Sep 2014 21:49

55 years ago had been in national service since april........
53 years ago had been demobbed since march.....
50 years ago I was working at a Mcdougalls flour mill,
had a daughter 2 yrs 8 months and a son 10 months........

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2014 21:52

I didn't like grammar school for the first 2½ years, and kept begging my father to buy me out and let me leave at the age of 15

It cost £10 to leave that one year early, and he wouldn't agree ............ we couldn't afford it

................... then I realized that I had found subjects I liked, and teachers I liked

and then had to beg my parents to let me stay on at school to do A levels, and then go onto to university ......................

My parents were not wealthy, but I got a local authority grant that paid the whole cost of my university education, living expenses, books, and even a supplemental small grant to cover the field trips I had to do each year.

I didn't have much money to spare, but neither were my friends, so "entertainment" was usually self-made.

I got jobs in vacation time ........

......... delivering the post for about 2 weeks upto and including Christmas Eve
every year for 4 years

and summer jobs from June to September .................... I worked in 3 hotels, quite the experience that was!

I worked Saturday jobs from the age of 11, with some week days at the same place in the summer from 12-14, but began regular summer jobs when I was 15.

I worked in a factory that made Pakamacs my last but 1 year before I left grammar school ....... that was an eye-opener :-)

Wend

Wend Report 9 Sep 2014 21:58

50 years ago I lost my virginity :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Sep 2014 22:10

Oh, I love to read about the --olden days...... ;-) :-D :-D :- :-D.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Sep 2014 22:18

did you ever find it again Wend :-D lost mine 55 years ago when I got married :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Sep 2014 22:50

Oh!

I hope it was not lost, but given away, freely,willingly

the most intimate of gifts.......to be shared....

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Sep 2014 22:50

eagerly more tha willingly ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Sep 2014 23:06

I seem to recall one of the "loose women" saying that as soon as she was sixteen,
she got that out of the way, pronto......

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Sep 2014 09:29

I never thought of Bob being a Barbara Cartland reader before.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Sep 2014 10:09

:-D :-D me neither

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Sep 2014 11:56

I'm not..........LOL

just the way I see it....