General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If Scotland does become independant.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Sep 2014 11:17

How independent will they be?

Will they field their own troops?

As two separate nations we would not be able to afford to equip two fighting forces. Would they need to own their own ships? Would the English navy still be able to use Rosythe and Fastlaine? Would Scottish ships use Pompey?

How strongly would Scotland re-align with France?

Have they really thought it all through?

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 11 Sep 2014 11:39

I wonder about that too Sharron.

Also -
Will they stay in the Commonwealth?

or will they become a republic?
Will they want to stay in the NHS?
Will they stay in the EU?
Will they have their own currency?

I haven't watched either of the debates on tv, but from what I hear, they were "do the other fellow down" contests.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Sep 2014 11:42

yikes..........if they want a "royal" they might get one of those Frenchmen who claims to be a descendant of Prince Charles (aka The Bonnie Prince).... I believe their surname is deRohan??

:-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Sep 2014 11:48

They said that they want to stay in the Commonwealth, so they'll still have Elizabeth II as their ultimate Head of State.

Anne the Princess Royal tends to come out and wave the flag on their behalf for sporting events.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Sep 2014 12:21

Will we need passports too to visit our relations in Scotland

Will they have border controls to stop illegals hitching rides in lorries :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Sep 2014 12:28

I was born in Scotland........ they probably won't let me back in because I hate haggis.

:-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 11 Sep 2014 12:52

will their NHS system collapse
will thy have to pay for prescriptions and treatment
will big business remove funding and reallocate
what if they ever get invaded will that put us at risk to

maybe we should rebuild Hadrian's wall just incase lol

and to my Scottish friends good luck what ever you vote

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Sep 2014 13:16

It seems the powers that be haven't really explained the whole situation to the general public.

A Q&A sheet would be helpful to aid the voting Scots. A bit late now though!

Another fine mess!

Merlin

Merlin Report 11 Sep 2014 13:48

In my humble Opinion. Alex Salmond is doing what is good for him and has not given a thought to the people of Scotland or the ultimate results of what could happen if they vote for separation from GB.

Leslie

Leslie Report 11 Sep 2014 14:00

Will we all get a day off when Alex Salmond is crowned King,,because that's what I think he's looking for... He's not in it for the people,, he's looking after himself...That's just my opinion...
By the way,,,MERLIN,,I don't drive anymore but I love your car in the photo...Can I have a ride in the back and feel like Royalty,,then I can imagine what Alex will feel like when he's on official business....
Regards....LES.

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Sep 2014 14:24

‘Which way now for Scottish businesses? (‘In Business’. Duration: 30 minutes). This evening on BBC Radio 4 @ 8:30pm.

Presenter Peter Day talks to business people in Scotland and asks how they see the future in the light of the referendum campaign. Could there be a return to the status quo or has so much changed already as a result of the political debate, regardless of which way the vote goes?

Peter Day assesses the future through the eyes of video games companies in Dundee, young entrepreneurs in Edinburgh & established Scottish business leaders‘.
-------------------------------------------------------
#This programme probably will not touch on many of the queries & uncertainties listed on this thread - but should explain some bits connecting businesses after the split.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 11 Sep 2014 14:58

If there is a NO vote will Alex Salmond have to resign - "they" (the press) keep saying Mr Cameron should go if it is YES !

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Sep 2014 19:16

we asked all the same questions almost 20 years ago when Quebec was voting to separate from Canada

and none of them were ever really answered.

Quebec seemed to think they could separate from Canada, but keep all the bits of "Canada" that they wanted ............... like defense, like security, like the money, like the transfer payments from Ottawa, etc etc

Banks and head offices of many businesses all said they would move out of Quebec if they won ................ and some did it beforehand

sounds very much like Scotland's pipe dream :-)

BrianW

BrianW Report 11 Sep 2014 20:25

Will petrol, diesel and whisky duties be reduced as they won't have to pay all that tax to the nasty Westminster Treasury?
If I were Scottish I would certainly be demanding that.
So would that lead to cross-border booze buses and smuggling as with Northern Ireland and the Republic

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 11 Sep 2014 21:08

BrianW
good thinking do you think they will get cheap fags to
might do a fag run its only an hour from here ;-) ;-)

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 11 Sep 2014 21:14

No worries Brian they wont reduce that much after all Glasgow is a big city and a fair few unemployed someone will have to pay their benefits ;-)