General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canned.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 23 Sep 2014 12:36

My sister and BIL live for part f the year in Turkey. We are going on holiday to see them on Thursday. She has asked me to take out some canned food. Someone has just told me that you can now longer take canned food in your suitcase.

Does anyone know if this is correct.

Many thanks :-D :-D :-D :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Sep 2014 13:14

Ring your travel agent who you booked with ,they should know if any new restrictions have been put in place for main suitcases and not cabin luggage which food isnt allowed,,,,,,babyfoods are........I think weight maybe limited.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 23 Sep 2014 13:57

Thanks Kay. We booked the flight ourselves, I have checked online the most up-to-date entry regarding carrying foodstuffs was 2013, and it said that certain items
( mine included) are allowed. Someone told OH this morning the rules have changed. I was hoping someone had more up-to-date information.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Sep 2014 14:04

Paula the following is a list of banned items in hold luggage for Heathrow. I guess all UK will be the same.

old baggage
Items banned from hold baggage

For safety reasons, the following items cannot be taken on to an aircraft. Please do not pack them in either hand baggage or hold luggage.

Flammable liquids and solids.
Oxidisers such as bleaching powders.
Organic peroxides.
Tear gas devices or any gas cylinders.
Infectious substances such as live virus materials.
Wet-cell car batteries.
Magnetrons.Instruments containing mercury.
Instruments containing magnets.
Fireworks and pyrotechnics.
Non-safety matches.
Fire lighters, lighter fuel, paints, thinners.
Poisons, arsenic, cyanide, weedkiller.
Radioactive materials, acids, corrosives, alkalis, caustic soda.
Creosote, quicklime, oiled paper.
Vehicle fuel system components which have contained fuel.
Explosives, ammunition, detonators and related equipment.
Smoke canisters and smoke cartridges.

I am pretty certain canned food is ok but it weighs a lot so you may be constrained by weight. I have certainly carried tinned tuna.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 23 Sep 2014 17:40

It is just a couple of small cans. My sister has texted me to say that they are fine to take through, but not in hand luggage. I was pretty sure it would be okay, I just wanted to prove the "expert" was wrong again.

How very naughty of me. ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Thank you Ann

Von

Von Report 23 Sep 2014 17:45

Just beware of tea bags and harmonicas as they show up as explosives

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 23 Sep 2014 17:56

Good Lord Von are you serious about the tea bags I mean. When we had a house in Spain I used to take a big box of Yorkshire Tea bags for one of our neighbours.

Von

Von Report 23 Sep 2014 18:21

Paula
I had them in my hand luggage on a trip to the USA earlier this year and when the bag was searched it wasn't allowed through.
Asking me if I had any liquids etc in my bag I said no.
The bag was searched and the guy picked out the tea bags and said " here are the culprits"
He explained to me that they showed up as explosives.
I guess if they had been in my hold luggage that too would have been searched
but I wouldn't necessarily have known.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Sep 2014 18:22

I always check online with the Customs regulations, both for the country I am leaving and the country to which I am going

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Sep 2014 18:33

Any good travel agent can tell you allowed and not allowed,,,,,,,

teabags show up as organic matter. :-D

Von

Von Report 23 Sep 2014 18:50

Not what I was told Kay

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Sep 2014 19:57

My cousin has no problem taking a suitcase of yorkshire tea to US for relatives,as its always decleared.infact some went over during the summer.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Sep 2014 20:06

I think USA are over the top with their security. I took tea bags 80 of them with me this time plus peppermint tea bags but in my hold luggage, right at the bottom of the case, it definitely wasn't searched it was too well packed.

Von

Von Report 23 Sep 2014 21:08

There is no problem taking it in.
I was merely pointing out that scanners pick up all sorts of things as potential dangers and jolly glad I am that they do.
It just amused OH and myself with me and my tea bags and him and his harmonica
:-D