General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pasting from Relation Clipboard.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mistert

Mistert Report 26 Sep 2014 16:37

I can 'copy' details of a common relative from another tree & it goes into my Relation Clipboard. But for the life of me I cannot find a way to 'paste' the data into my own tree. I'm sure this used to be possible on GR - what have they done? Or am I missing something??
Ther doesn't seem to be much point having a 'copy to clipboard' facility if you can't 'paste from clipboard' later.

Alan T

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2014 19:25

Welcome to the boards Mistert -

Unfortunately the clipboard function ceased working a number of years ago.

Assuming you have permisson and have checked the research, the best way to copy over info is to do it manually. Open the other tree in another window (not tab), resize so that you can see both side by side, and away you go.

Mistert

Mistert Report 27 Sep 2014 11:40

Thanks DetEcTive.

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer :-(( . It's a while since I updated my tree, but having found a new branch of my wifes family was hoping there was a quicker way.
The 'copy' to Clipboard sholu be scrapped it it can't be used for anything - just confuses users - like me anyway!

Philip

Philip Report 23 May 2016 12:33

Same issue here! What a completely useless function to have a "Copy" button and a link to a "Clipboard" to show you what has been copied if there is then absolutely no way to "Paste" the information anywhere!

While on a relative's family tree, I clicked on one of the names in the Clipboard and a message appeared that said "You need to be on your own family tree to use the paste function" - no mention of the fact that there essentially isn't a paste function!

When something "stops working", surely the first thing you do is try to fix it so that it "starts working" again - not just leave it broken! Doesn't say much for Genes Reunited and makes me question the wisdom of having just paid them a subscription.

It may seem a small thing - but I'd feel exactly the same if I was paying rent to a landlord and then discovered that he knew the shower had "stopped working" but just hadn't bothered fixing it! It would make me question what else was wrong with the house and was just being ignored!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 23 May 2016 16:41

You should be able to do ordinary C & P - forget about the clipboard.

Open the two trees side by side as suggested by DetEcTive, then highlight the box you want to copy, right click on it, click copy, put the cursor where you want to paste it, right click and then click paste.

A bit long-winded for small boxes, but fine for the notes box.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 May 2016 16:48

Philip - many of us long standing or frequent users of the site have come to the conclusion that GR is the 'poor relation' of the D C Thomson/Brightsolid family.

Something breaks? Support tell us that it has been 'reported' to the technical department. Unless the problem actually brings the site down, it never seems to get 'fixed'.