General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

replies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 28 Sep 2014 11:54

Is it just me? I have sent messages to several people recently asking for info of a relative but no one seems to reply. I feel it is a waste of time asking. Do other people have this problem? :-(

jax

jax Report 28 Sep 2014 11:59

The people you are sending messages could well not use the site now for whatever reason... They may have also changed their email address so they would not know they have a message waiting

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 28 Sep 2014 12:00

Of all the millions of members, probably only a handful are still active.

People get bored, or maybe have left their tree on here even though they never log in, or have changed their contact details, or are poorly, or have died.

Tawny

Tawny Report 28 Sep 2014 12:05

I have this a lot too. It may be they are no longer members of the site and although they will get an e-mail alerting them it will only go to the address they used to sign up to the site and they may have since changed it. I have five different e-mail accounts. It is also possible they may have died. You could still send messages to one of my relations on site until last year and one of her immediate family removed the tree but she died in 2005.

Graham

Graham Report 28 Sep 2014 12:13

If you look at your list of sent messages, the messages that have an envelope next to them are the ones that haven't been read by the person you sent them to.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Sep 2014 12:37

Some people aren't members any more, for one reason or another.

Some don't bother responding!

I sent three messages last week, to different people, enquiring about the same person. Two haven't opened the message but one has read it...... and not replied.

I always respond, even when the query isn't one of my rellies.

Edit: I didn't respond to one message......... someone asked me "who did your John Smith marry?" No information was given about where or when John was born! That one didn't deserve a reply.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Sep 2014 21:53

I have sometimes had replies several years after a message.
Don't give up hope !

Gwyn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Sep 2014 01:28

.......... some people just do not want to respond

I usually do not respond to any message that says

Open your tree

or

Give me access to your tree

or

Give me all the information on Joe Blow

Plus, I never ever open my tree to anyone ............................. I will provide information on a person AFTER we have proved that there is a definite connection (ie, by an exchange of pms)

No-one can compel anyone else to open their tree or to reply to messages .................

and one has to remember that GR never removes trees unless they ahve actually banned someone from the site for "misbehaviour"

Trees can only be removed by the tree owner OR by some close family member or friend who has been given the information re site name and password.

Eileen

Eileen Report 29 Sep 2014 11:49

Thank you for your replies, I wondered if it was because people no longer use the site. I always offer my tree for them to view when I ask about a person. Thanks to the very few who do reply, if only to tell me that the person I am looking for is not the one on their tree. It is manners. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Sep 2014 00:45

Eileen

have you ever checked your Sent messages to see if people ahve opened the pm you sent?

It may not be a case of bad manners ..............

.............. if the green envelope is still to the left of the name, then they have not opened it

and that means that they have either .........

not received the email from GR to say they have a pm waiting, and that will be because they no longer have the same email address that is on file with GR

or ................ they are incapacitated or dead

and, on an aside ........................

I personally think you are being foolish to open your tree to anyone ...........

wait until you have established that there is a definite connection before you do that!

There are several "name collectors" known to be on site ................. as there is on any of the other sites where you can build your tree.

They will access all the information from your tree, without having a connection with them. They just want big numbers