General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inspiration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 30 Sep 2014 13:24

Who in your life inspired you, helped you
through the good times and difficult times.

Does it still work for you to this day?

Was there more than one person?

Emma

:-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Sep 2014 13:49

The Very Reverend George Macleod my mentor and life long friend till he died in 1991, a man of wisdom, faith, and who had a deep compassion for people from all walks of life, his guidance and friendship helped me to become the person I am, and memories of the times I spent in his company remain with me still.

R.I.P. Dr George <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 30 Sep 2014 14:18

My Dad <3 <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 30 Sep 2014 14:27

What a lovely thread Emma :-)

My Grandad Tom he was and is my inspiration....
A man whom I adored and always had his arms opened to those that needed them.
Full of love and would do anything for anyone. A family man, who adored his daughters and his wife. His love for his Grandchildren were amazing, when we stayed at Nan and Grandads he always put us to bed, and told us stories that were so magical and full of happiness and love. I remember the first day of school , and when I finished he was there...bent down, his arms opened wide, smiling and telling me how proud he was of me, he came all the way from Manchester and to a very small child that was so far away....He showed me so many things as he did with his other Grandchildren but I had a special bond with him....

Sitting on his shoulders while walking to the papers shop,knowing I would get a little treat while I got there, only for him to let me eat it on his shoulders on the way back and he was guaranteed to have melted chocolate on his head LOL.....

Showing me how to dance, by putting my feet on his so i could learn the steps, while him singing all the war songs......

Grandad got cancer and I remember the times I lay on the bed with him at home when he was not very well at all, the windows wide open while the curtains moving in the breeze, I would ask if he wanted anything and all he would say is a cuddle and a chat so I just used to chat about anything and everything, even in his last days he had time for me, and he inspired me to try and understand people ......

I miss my Grandad every single day but I have my stories and memories and most of all his love and the act of giving no matter how small .......he was/is my inspiration....

I love you Grandad Tom <3

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Sep 2014 14:40

Mersey - what a lovely post and what a lovely Grandad you had <3 <3 <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 30 Sep 2014 14:58

OFITG,**Ann** and Mersey, I know memories of these people
will stay with you for all time.

I had several but out of them all my Mum, she was not highly
educated, left home at fourteen due to a father who was a
drunkard and worked hard all her life.
Met and married my father raised her children and struggled
to feed them, I was a late baby so I was the lucky one who
never saw hard times.
As I said she was not well educated, never learnt to cook as
her mother died young but no one starved, she was a wise, kind
woman who would give anyone a helping hand and share what she
had with others.
Her advice to me was to do the best I could in life, go for what I wanted
and if it wasn't to be at least I tried.
Mum <3

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 30 Sep 2014 15:35

Oh GLUG you lot have started me off now <3

Mersey...my earliest memory is of my dad swinging me up from the ground onto his shoulders so we could get home a little quicker...turning the corner in the lane to our cottage and seeing my mum in the doorway holding my younger brother in her arms waiting for us.

Lovely memories, I hope my children & grandchildren will have fond memories of me.

Lovely thread Emms <3 <3 <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 30 Sep 2014 16:29

Lovely to hear all your inspirational stories :-) :-) <3

Fly

Fly Report 30 Sep 2014 17:50

My Mum <3 <3

Phyll

Phyll Report 30 Sep 2014 18:24

My sister

She was like a Mum to me and was always there for me.
Sadly we lost her to cancer 2 years ago and I am absolutely lost without her to talk to.
Phyll

GinN

GinN Report 30 Sep 2014 19:08

My lovely OH. <3 <3 <3

He has a lovely gentle nature, a great sense of humour, and has helped me selflessly through some very dark times, especially during ovarian cancer, chemotherapy and a major operation.

Thankyou sweetheart <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 30 Sep 2014 19:13

Lovely to read about the people who inspired us
and that we still think of them and keep them in
our hearts.

Emma x

Mersey

Mersey Report 30 Sep 2014 19:24

So true Emms <3 <3

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 30 Sep 2014 19:40

i really have to say my mummy she is always there for me
<3 <3

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 30 Sep 2014 19:58

my lovely Butler xx :-D <3 :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 30 Sep 2014 20:06

That's lovely littlelegs <3 and Joy your Butler :-D
that always makes me smile :-)

Emma

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 30 Sep 2014 20:20

Without question my darling OH. He helped me recover from a previous violent marriage and taught me to be a real person again. He is a wonderful father to our children and an absolute brilliant Grandad to our very numerous Grandchildren.

I love him so very much <3 <3 <3 <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 30 Sep 2014 20:32

LG that's wonderful :-)

We are so lucky to have or to have had these people
in our lives. :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Sep 2014 21:07

My nan. The nearest I had to a mum. She died when I was six and is responsible for any little bit of decency there might be in me.

The second nearest I had to a mum was Aud whose house you could not leave without a cup of tea and something wonderful from her cake tin. She knitted incessantly and I have a full-length Arran cardigan she made me for sitting with her cantankerous old dad (training!?) while she had a bit of a life. It's baggy and not a good fit but Aud made it so it is beautiful!