General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Following the dung heap topic

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Oct 2014 11:45

There is an area behind my shed (the one that came with free erection) there is an area that is usually in shade.

Rather than have it go to waste we thought we would grow things that like shade there next year.

I bought some Chilean guavas last year that we have evidently put in the wrong place as they like shade so they will be going round there and the strawberries, well some of them as I have let them live their lives as they choose.

Maybe there will be a bit of land cress and the pot with the watercress in it.

I can't afford them at the moment but have a catalogue that offers logs that are injected with mushroom spawn, the expensive you can't get in Aldi. Suttons offer plugs of lionsmane that you can put in fresh cut logs, if you can get some.

Has anybody else tried any of these and what else can I stick where the sun don't shine much?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Oct 2014 13:09

As someone who has a north facing back garden, you have my sympathises.

We've one patch which never gets any sun - Spring bulbs do well as do ferns and hostas. Forget-me-nots seem to survive, and possibly Lily of the Valley, not that I've tried that.

On Gardeners Question Time, the team told a participant that she had little hope of growing anything edible!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Oct 2014 13:21

lolol Sharron......... that's a leading question :-D :-D