General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surprisingly Old Technology

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 5 Oct 2014 11:05

Did you know that the first microwave oven went on sale in 1946? It was invented by Percy Spencer and was called the radarange.

I remember when the people who lived opposite me in the 1970s bought a microwave. Everybody thought they must have been filthy rich. Now you can buy one for about £25.

As mentioned on another thread, computers have been around much longer than many people think.

Can you think of anything else that is much older than some people might think?

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 5 Oct 2014 11:09

Yes.......

Me! ;-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 5 Oct 2014 11:19

PricklyHolly they don't make them like they used to ;-) :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Oct 2014 11:19

I can remember annealing stainless steel bowls in a factory in the early seventies by placing them inside a ring that emitted something.

Can't remember what it emitted and I wasn't very interested at the time.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Oct 2014 16:52

Probably a Magnetic induction ring ,,,,.......

Kense

Kense Report 5 Oct 2014 20:45

Touchscreen displays - mid sixties.

BrianW

BrianW Report 6 Oct 2014 10:29

The name Radarange is most likely because of the fact that both radar and the microwave use a magnetron which was developed during the war for radar and which produces the ultra short wavelength radiation you need for both.
(If I remember correctly without actually looking it up!)