General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DON'T YOU JUST HATE IT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Oct 2014 08:45

DON'T YOU JUST HATE IT,,,,,BEING SERVED BY
SOMEONE WHO TALKS TO HER FRIEND IN ANOTHER
LANGUAGE WHILE DEALING WITH YOU,
OR YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THEIR SAYING
TO YOU,WHEN I SAY SORRY I GET THE STUPID LOOK
AND THE "I SPEAK ENGLISH DON'T YOU",BUT WORSE
NURSES DEALING WITH YOU AND CHATTING AWAY
TO OTHER NURSE ,,OI I'M HERE TALK TO ME,,,PLEASE

Iris

Iris Report 6 Oct 2014 08:49

it is the hight of bad manners , when anyone does that ,and I would tell them so . iris :-|

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Oct 2014 10:10

That's awful Dizzi.

At least in a shop you can leave, but you're stuck with a nurse.

You should have a word with a supervisor.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Oct 2014 12:45

Being a proud monolingual nation, we in the UK miss out a lot in multilingual conversations.

But I agree that the ideal condition of any language is one that allows communication without ambiguity or confusion. However, doctors & nurses have to contend with dealing with non-English speaking patients too.

The use of 'Foreign Translation' services over the telephone by hospital personnel is commonplace in many hospitals & is very expensive.

wisechild

wisechild Report 6 Oct 2014 14:51

It´s a terrible habit between shop assistants in Spain.
I find it quite amusing to give them a shock & join in the coversation

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 6 Oct 2014 17:16

Dizzi is completely correct. It is very rude and always has been.

I was stuck in hospital in France, broken leg. The doctor apologised that his colleague could not speak English. To me he spoke perfect English. Jolly good fun until they rumbled I speak French lol.

Pleased to see Dizzi is OK.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 6 Oct 2014 17:27

I am going in to hospital next week and woe betide the staff if they try that with me. I cannot abide rude people. :-|