General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dwarfism Awareness Month

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 6 Oct 2014 21:12

Hi folks,

A charity close to my heart please visit their site and have a look.

http://www.restrictedgrowth.co.uk/

Ta!
Mayfield :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Oct 2014 17:07

I know a woman whose son was an achondraplastic(?) dwarf. He died a few years ago now but she is only too willing to talk about the condition and how it affected the family.

One thing I would never have thought of was the fact that the poor little boy screamed almost incessantly as a little child because he was in great pain. His organs were growing at a faster pace than his ribs which could not accommodate them properly so they were compressed.

He grew up resentful because of the condition and his older brother was in a lot of fights at school protecting him from bullies. It does affect the family in ways that they might not be prepared for.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 7 Oct 2014 21:55

The main problems young people with Achondroplasia have tend to be constant ear infections the possibility if damage to the neck and spine as well as joint injury so sadly no bouncy castles etc. They do however get very resourceful at dealing with day to day tasks.
The most important thing is to be treated as an individual just like everyone should be and not as odd, or to be ignored ;-)