General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lunar eclipse, Wednesday

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Oct 2014 22:10

Best seen from east coast of Australia......

http://abc.net.au/news/5794092

:-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 6 Oct 2014 22:23

I'll just get me pedollo out and scoot off down there.........

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Oct 2014 23:03

Hurry up Bob........ you'll get a good view from our place, we're just north of the most easterly point of Oz.... you can see it on my avatar...... where the beach curves around at the top.

:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Oct 2014 01:27

we should get a very clear view of the eclipse here ................ between about 2 and 4 am :-)

The sky is forecast to be cloudless

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Oct 2014 06:40

Typical! :-(

We've had beautiful weather for weeks....... and this afternoon the clouds have blown in, and we're expecting showers.

Hopefully the wind will pick up and blow the clouds away.

We can watch the moon rising over the ocean from our back deck, it usually visible from the deck until about 9.30pm...... then we'll have to go out the front :-D

Are you getting up at 2am Sylvia? :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Oct 2014 07:10

the best view here is apparently around about 3 am ..................... and I often have to go to the little room about that time

so, yes, I'll take a look out the window if I do get up:-)

OH has put his camera where he can easily reach it in case he wakes up

We can able to see it to the south west from our back sundeck

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Oct 2014 10:52

Waaaaaaaaa!

It's almost 8.50pm here, and we have cloud cover! Black clouds with a few holes that the moon peeks through every few minutes.

Hopefully we'll see a bit of the shadow & the moon turning red in an hour or so.

We keep wandering outside to see what's happening :-D

Sylvia ~ It will be a bit chilly where you are at 3am. It's sandals & tshirts here.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Oct 2014 12:03

Nothing to see here :-( too much cloud

I googled and eventually found a live "show" by griffith observatory.

10.00pm now........ no point in waiting up, I'm off to bed.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Oct 2014 17:45

It was pretty chilly!!!

especially just in my nightie and house clogs :-)

I got up just after 2 am ................. sky perfectly clear, beautiful moon, with a piece missing from the left side showing the eclipse had started

went back to bed ................ too tired to sit and watch it progress

Got up again about 3:13 am ................... and the moon was hidden by clouds, :-( although we could see a slightly darker roundish area where the moon should have been.

OH had been up at about 3 am, and got a couple of photos, which I have not yet see.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Oct 2014 20:59

Didn't see a thing last night :-(

This link is on msn ...... some great pics!

http://www.9news.com.au/technology/2014/10/09/04/45/blood-moon-lights-up-australias-skies

I see some in Oz were taken north, south & west of us.......they had a lovely clear evening!

btw - my opening post... I copied that from the abc website, I didn't mean only Australia would see the eclipse

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Oct 2014 05:04

the meterologist on the TV news this evening said there would be another lunar eclipse, blood moon, in April and another in September next year.

But she didn't say where they would be best viewed

Kense

Kense Report 9 Oct 2014 07:17

This site shows maps of where the next eclipses can be seen.

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list.html

UK has to wait until September but there is a bit of a solar one in March.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Oct 2014 18:03

There are 2 total lunar eclipses next year .................. butt he UK will only see the September one

We should be able to see both :-)

Apr 4, 2015

Total Eclipse - Will be visible in Asia, Australia, Pacific and the Americas with a duration of 3h 29m. Of this time the eclipse will be total for 5m.

Sept 28, 2015

Total Eclipse - Will be visible in Asia, Australia, Pacific and the Americas with a duration of 3h 20m. Of this time the eclipse will be total for 1h 12m.

Both will apparently be red moons

from that time and date site that Ken gave .....................

Eclipses during year 2015

Mar 20, 2015 Total Solar Eclipse
Apr 4, 2015 Partial Lunar Eclipse
Sep 13, 2015 Partial Solar Eclipse
Sep 28, 2015 Total Lunar Eclipse