General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A communication from our local MP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 9 Oct 2014 23:19

Today I received (as did OH) a 4 page questionnaire from MP asking various questions and issues which were of interest to me. No problem - however on the last page the crunch came - which party did I vote for last election: which part would I vote for in next election (I replied I never divulge) and then given the choice of two only - Milliband and Cameron would I like to head the country.

I was getting slightly irritated but when they asked me to post the complete form back to him, I tore it up - if they want my opinion they can either collect or provide postage.

I think I am becoming or already am a Grumpy Old Woman. ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Oct 2014 23:43

Well, I didn't even get one to rip up!!!!!! :-P

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 9 Oct 2014 23:48

Poor you - they are probably on the way.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Oct 2014 00:04

:-D :-D :-D
I await with baited breath........

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Oct 2014 01:00

We got a newsy thingie from our new representative

His surname is Beavis.

I couldn't help but wonder if he has a best friend called B*tthead.

:-D

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 10 Oct 2014 09:26

On the plus side-are they really trying to find out what we DO want them to do ? :-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Oct 2014 10:07

well I know what I want them to do ;-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 10 Oct 2014 10:19

AnnCardiff - Emigrate :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Oct 2014 10:42

Politicians regularly promise me jam tomorrow. And I'm not really a jam lover - but that doesn't stop their drivelling patter.

Phyll

Phyll Report 10 Oct 2014 10:58

We tore ours up - they only want to know what we want so they can put it in their manifesto & make themselves look good.. If they were any good they would know what we want.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Oct 2014 19:54

we have local municipal elections next month, the campaign officially began about 2 weeks ago.

About 4 weeks ago I got a phone call from someone who identified herself as doing a poll for the NPA (one of the civic political parties).

This was before most of the candidates had been announced.

First question was my birth date ............. not age range but actual date.

Second question was "are you going to vote, and who will you vote for?"

My response "I am certainly going to vote, but I never tell anyone who I am voting for"

Hers " You will tell me you are voting but not who you are voting for? Then I have no more questions for you. Thank you, and goodbye" :-|

Last week, a phone call from the incumbent mayor's campaign ............... were we going to vote and would we be voting for the mayor (the Civic Party).

Response "I am certainly going to vote, but I never tell anyone who I am voting for".

Young man " Thank you very much. But you are going to vote?"

Young man "May I have your age range please from the following ...." "Thank you and goodbye"

The day before, we had seen 2 well dressed young man going door to door down the side street ............... carrying NPA literature. They didn't come along our street

The election is on November 15

sigh

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Oct 2014 23:58

It's a bit creepy - how tight do they want the pigeon hole they're attempting to cram people in, to be?

patchem

patchem Report 11 Oct 2014 09:34

Why do you not want to tell people how you vote?

Are you ashamed of your beliefs?

I would be seriously offended if people thought I voted Tory.

Being married to one is bad enough.

;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Oct 2014 17:37

Pat

'course I'm not ashamed!

The way it works over here is .....................

if you tell a canvasser that you are going to vote for them, you go down on their list

so they continually contact you, and start asking for donations year round.

If you say you never tell anyone how you vote ................... they often assume you are going to vote for the "others", and leave you alone :-)

The last municipal election, OH told one canvasser who came to the door that he would vote for "their" party but only "if you get rid of that b****y woman you've got running for Mayor" :-D

They were completely taken aback

He actually had no intention of voting for most of the candidates running for that party, just hated the woman and how she had acted as a councillor.

We both actually tend to vote for the person(s) that we think will be best for either our riding or the city ................... and that often means municipally that we vote for candidates from 2 or even 3 parties :-)

patchem

patchem Report 12 Oct 2014 07:57

OK

Thanks for the explanation.

Always interested to know what people will tell researchers, and what they think is too intrusive, and then the reasons why.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Oct 2014 18:12

We elect a Mayor and 10 councillors, elected at large. We don't have a ward system.

Currently they serve a 3 year term, but it will change in November to 4 years, because the Provincial Government has changed the Municipal Act so that all municipal councils throughout the province will serve 4 years.

The Mayor is elected separately .................. and could quite conceivably belong to a different party for most (or all!) of the councillors.

This year for the first time, the 2 major parties in the city and 1 minor but hopeful party all decided not to run a full slate of councillors ................. so none of them will be putting forward 10 names on the ballot.

It is interesting that they all seemingly decided this at the same time, and independently (or so they say!).

The rationale is that a one party council (or government!) is no good, and is not democratic.

The current council had a Mayor and 7 councillors from 1 party, 2 from the other "major" party, and 1 Green

As far as what I tell canvassers .................... I don't have a set response!

I have told some canvassers that I will be voting for "their" candidate. I've said I definitely will not be voting. And I've most often said that I don't tell :-)

It all depends on how strongly I feel about the candidate .................. or the party federally :-)

................... and occasionally on the time when they have phoned or knocked on the door :-)

We are always asked the age range, and often the income range, that we are in ...........

I was a bit taken aback when asked for my actual birth date