General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Talking of recipes.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Oct 2014 12:33

While I was in the depths of my aberration recently I didn't do much cooking and what I did was somewhat below my usual abysmal standards.

I was running out of ingredients as well.

Anyway, I usually soak a bowl of beans and make something with them, soup on Monday, curry on Tuesday and put what is left with a chopped onion and the bread ends to make burgers.
+
/

By way of a change I thought I would make some baked beans to use up what ingredients I had hat go in them, not quite to the right proportions.

They came out very sweet and treacley (it was the last of the molasses so I put it all in because I wanted the jar for jam). Bloody horrible actually!

Now, here is the bit that will stop you coming round my house at any time. I ground up the bread ends and made them and the baked beans, with a few other things, into, well, gingerbread!

I know, heave, heave, but they ate it.

The dumplings I thought I would make in the food processor, no suet, just baking powder, well they didn't dumpling at all so I mixed up the rest of the dough with some cheese and another chopped onion and made biscuits.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 10 Oct 2014 14:57

Sharron <3 I've decided to give tea a miss :-D :-D :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 10 Oct 2014 15:15

Another Sharron Classic
:-D :-D :-D :-D

Have a look at this. It may make you feel a bit better

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/24-people-who-shouldnt-be-allowed-to-decorate-cakes#1k81i9e

GinN

GinN Report 10 Oct 2014 15:16

Sharron - you are the Queen of waste-not-want-not , and you are certainly inventive :-D :-D :-D ;-) <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Oct 2014 20:23

Those cake decorations have cracked me up!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Oct 2014 21:52

I could use one of those cakes........... a prize at the garden club.

:-D

SueCar

SueCar Report 10 Oct 2014 22:09

If you buy individual spices to pep your meals up it costs quite a bit. I noticed that our local Asian deli/spice shop sell their own blend of curry powder, just like the old Vencat curry powder we all used to have. Much cheaper that buying big jars of sauce.

I have made burgers out of tinned processed peas and softened onion and mild curry powder. Very tasty and suitable for small children to eat. Being non-meat and non-dairy They're also vegan.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Oct 2014 23:15

Glasgow Lass ~ I've just spent some time googling for cake disasters. There are some doozies!

Have a look at this:

http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/9/4/5-kids-cakes-so-creepy-theyre-actually-hilarious.html

The Princess Cake had me in hysterics. Good one if you want to traumatise a little girl. :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Oct 2014 23:41

Today, my daughter put on FB:
"Muuuuum! How do I cut my custard?"

Like I would know?
I did:
'I used a sharp edged spoon - looks less obvious Slap it down with a good wrist flick - no-one will notice.'

Then someone suggested a chainsaw :-|

,,,as I then pointed out - it was my gravy that could be sliced more often than my custard!!!!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Oct 2014 03:49

lol

I'd rather have a slice of gravy than thin dribbly stuff

:-)