General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find My Past

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jenVG

jenVG Report 14 Oct 2014 09:29

I have just signed up for a month on FMP, having loved it when I used it a couple of years back. What a shock Totally unrecognisable and I can't make head nor tail of it. Even a simple census search draws a blank. Any advice please? Jennifer

Graham

Graham Report 14 Oct 2014 10:09

Lots of people have been having problems with FMP for some time. They have been leaving in their droves. Myself included.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1345109

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1344585

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1344298

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1339220

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 14 Oct 2014 10:15

I didn't renew earlier this year either.

:-(

Island

Island Report 14 Oct 2014 10:26

Hi Jennifer, I'd only just renewed when they hit us with that horror. I stuck with it though and finally worked out how to use it - it was very frustrating!
I may well go elsewhere next time.

jenVG

jenVG Report 14 Oct 2014 10:31

Thanks all. Pleased to know it is not just me! I am not prepared to struggle - too old for that game. Back to Ancestry. I just didn't know if I was missing something with FMP as they had some excellent features in the past - ie. put somebody's exact birthday in when looking for a death and searching census reports by address. Some new broom there thinks he or she will sweep clean. Needs sacking!

Island

Island Report 14 Oct 2014 10:41

Jennifer, definitely not just you. Their Facebook page was bombarded with complaints, it was a cyber riot!

jax

jax Report 14 Oct 2014 13:31

I didn't like it at first, but soon got used to it after they did a few tweaks.

They had an offer in august for full British sub for £49.75 for the year which I took up.....they have so many new records which are not on ancestry that thought it was worth it

jenVG

jenVG Report 14 Oct 2014 14:46

Thanks. Still don't know how to get into Census reports or to look for marriages.
Put it down to experience.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Oct 2014 16:25

I was very lucky, my renewal came up about 2 weeks after they went for the 'new improved' look

What was one of the most user friendly sites went to a complete shambles.

It will be a very long time before I consider returning.

Luckily I still have Ancestry and even with their changes it is still usable for me.

What ever happened to 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' !!!!!! :-S :-D

jax

jax Report 14 Oct 2014 17:06

As you gave up at the start DC how can you say how bad it is now..... I had problems for the first week or so, but soon got the hang of it.

Yeah I also have ancestry but both sites have different records so both are useful

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Oct 2014 20:33

Jennifer, make sure that you cancel it before your 30 days are up or they will keep billing you every month.

jenVG

jenVG Report 14 Oct 2014 21:17

Thanks all.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Oct 2014 16:52

Jax - I never said it was bad now, just that it was a shambles after the 'improvements'

However, if you go to the FB FMP page, you will see that people are still encountering problems with the site

jax

jax Report 15 Oct 2014 17:27

I do go to the FMP facebook page ....not very often now. because all you ever see is the same people complaining......Fine if they are not happy leave, but do we need to see them complaining 6 months later.

Of course if you are OK with it you get nothing but abuse....so not much point in posting there now unless you want to moan

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Oct 2014 17:48

On FMP home page,

Search Records,

Click .select from the list,

when the page appears,,,,,,,enter details ,and then use BROWSE record collections,click which one you need,then click add filter at the bottom,,,,,,,,,it then will only show which set of records you want and not a jumble of a mix,,,,,,census.births etc,,,,,,,

change will always bring groans,,,,,,,

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 15 Oct 2014 22:37

I took out a months subscription for £1 just over 2 weeks ago and found a huge amount of Parish records that GR haven't got, so I'm very pleased! :-)

I have, however, got a ginormous tree on GR, so I wouldn't start again on another site, but it is handy to search for documents from another source sometimes.

jenVG

jenVG Report 15 Oct 2014 22:58

Thank you Kay???. A constructive answer which will be a great help tomorrow.
regards, :-)