General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barclays Bank - Impressive

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Oct 2014 16:20

I have just had a phone call from their fraud dept.

Someone has tried to use a cloned card in Indonesia.

Luckily the card requests (2) were rejected. They were for odd amounts 150+ and 160+

And in the time it took for the phone call and me to confirm my details (no security codes etc.) and my own security questions. My card has been cancelled.

Now I am VERY careful. I never give my card over at garages etc. I shop at the same places all the time and get cash out from no more than 3 cashpoints and the same amount every time. And every bit of paperwork with names and addresses on is shredded and then burnt.

So the only place this could have been done from is one of the couple of online shops I use. Now I know that most of them are very secure, I am now thinking it is possibly ebay.

It only goes to show, that no matter how careful and suspicious you are, you can still get caught. I was very lucky, no money was taken and the bank called almost immediately the 'cloned card' was used and rejected. So no money loss to me or the Bank.

Just goes to show.....

:-D ;-) <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Oct 2014 16:25

Same thing happened to us last year with NatWest credit card. Luckily it has a very low amount on it for use on the internet and they tried to draw more than the amount three times (going down each time). We didn't lose anything as NW spotted it immidiately (we were in Tenerife at the time but the amounts were not drawn there. The only place the card had been used on line before we went away was Amazon. But, of course it could have been cloned before that from another online site.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 14 Oct 2014 16:27

This is what they do, get small amounts out several times or in our cases they try.

Honestly, if it had been in the UK, then I do not think the bank would have noticed!

I am now considering getting a Paypal account, something I have been loathe to use, as I know they have had their problems in the past. But now I wonder.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Oct 2014 16:51

OH has a paypal account and has not had any problems with it.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 14 Oct 2014 17:03

This is interesting as I have had a lot of paypal scam e-mails and decided not to get paypal, but knowing somebody I trust has an account will make me think twice.

My English card is good as I so far have only ever paid out on line with it via the bank and their security is spot on. My Spanish card is also good as they text me every time my card is used over x amount. They even text me to say I had been in branch to take out €3000

Card fraud now is so worrying as not everybody checks their statements for small amounts going out. Mother bless her would have been a perfect victim for them before I got hold of her statements.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 14 Oct 2014 17:32

We had a similar call from NatWest a while ago. Someone had tried to get money from a machine in America with OH's debit card. It had never been used online and he can't remember ever even using it in a local shop. It's just used occasionally to withdraw cash from an ATM.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 14 Oct 2014 17:37

I, too, am impressed with my bank (Barclays) and the speed at which they pick up on 'unusual' transactions.
As I am out in the desert for months at a time, there are long periods when my card is not used. Then, when I do visit the UK I use the card a good bit, often in one day, for example, I might get petrol, shop at the Mall or city centre, stop off for food shopping on the way home. then, no sooner do I set foot inside the house and Barclays are on the phone, having noticed sudden card use and asking me to confirm etc.
Once they are satisfied that it is indeed me who has been using my card they are apologetic for bothering me, whereas I always make sure to thank them profusely for being so quick off the mark!! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Oct 2014 17:43

Incidentally we always notify our card providers when we go out of the country.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Oct 2014 19:05

Paypal were...(not sure if they still are)..........owned by the same Ebay outfit..

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 14 Oct 2014 21:33

to day daughter was in a long line at the cash point
and cash point took 5 different peoples card.

my daughter had sepishion that some one had tampered with it
so she left and went of to the post office

but guss what people in the line was still waiting to use it
now would you stand there knowing the cash point as already took that meany
cards

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 16 Oct 2014 11:27

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04m0ly9/rip-off-britain-series-5-daytime-reversions-episode-4

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 16 Oct 2014 12:55

It's not just banks who are quick to spot irregular activity.

I have an M&S credit card and they called my home late one evening, whilst we were booking a holiday.
The payment was being made on my card but the holiday was in my daughter's name.
They wanted to know if I was aware that my card was being used.

Also,on a Christmas spending spree , M&S called a shop and asked them that I provide ID.
They could see that my card was being used in various shops, in a short space of time!

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 16 Oct 2014 13:18

Also beware of the direct calls to your home from the Fraud Department claiming your card has been used...and they need personal details to put a stop on it. They are not all they seem to be. This is another scam :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Oct 2014 17:30

Shelley was that cash machine outside a bank? If so somebody should have reported the cards taken. Not sure what to do if it is outside a shop although there may be a phone number on the machine. :-S And, no I would not have sent my card after the rest.

martynsue

martynsue Report 16 Oct 2014 18:02

i just deleted a scam email,it said it was from Barclays and my transaction was pending,funny that as I do not have any Barclays accounts and have not purchaced anything for a transaction to be pending.

with my paypal account if I get any emails I go straight to paypal through my internet connection to view my account to see if it is genuine,if not I just delete the email,i never open or download any emails unless I am 100% certain of the sender.